none
Since SP3, Navigation Bars do not list functions of Javascript files

Question

• Dear all,

since the Update to VS2015 SP3 the navigation bar does not list any javascript functions. This worked fine until VS2015 SP2. Now the javascript functions only appear for 2-3 secondes in the right bar and finally disappear.

The repair of VS2015 didn't help.

I'm sure this is a bug.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Horst

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Horst Schneider

In my latest VS2015 update3(version 14.0.25425.01), I have imported a .js file to my web project. when I click the .js file, the navigation bar could list the javascript functions.

According to Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, we could update our VS2015 to fix some bugs contain JavaScript. Through clicking menu Tools->Extensions and Updates->Updates, click update button on KB3165756.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 5, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same problem - opening a .js file populates the navigation bar for about 2-3 seconds and then it clears itself.

All the relevant updates to VS are installed.

I've tried to create a new .js file to see whether it was only happening with existing files - but the same thing happens.

I've uninstalled universal windows dev tools (I've read a few things that suggest this has caused problems with js intellisense) - but still have the same problem.

Having got used to being able to quickly navigate around js files this is extremely frustrating! If anyone knows how I can fix this, it would be really helpful!

Regards,

Paul

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:23 PM
  • Hi PaulHy,

I am using VS2015 Enterprise English version. In my VS, functions in js file could be shown in Navigation Bars, please refer to the following screenshot.

The version of my VS is (14.0.25425.01 Update3) and I have installed Universal Windows Apps tools in my VS.

Please start your VS in safe model (devenv /SafeMode), which could prevent all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

In addition, you could reset your VS by Tools menu-> Import and Export Settings-> Reset all settings -> Next->choose which collection of settings do you want to reset to->Finish.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 7:49 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the ideas - When running in safemode the navigation bar does not appear for .js files (it appears fine for other types - just not .js). Tried turning off/on in settings but nothing I did would result in the navigation bar appearing for those files.

I'm running Visual Studio Professional 2015 version 14.0.25425.01 Update 3 - fully updated.

I created a myfunctions.js file the same as yours so we were testing like for like and same thing - no navavigation bar.

Ran VS as normal (not safemode) and reset the tools and this made no difference .... still the navigation bar drop-downs populate for 2-3 seconds and then empty:

Regards,

Paul

Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:57 AM
  • After some more investigation I've discovered that this is only happening for one project (the one I'm working on at the moment!) - other projects don't have this problem, so I need to find out what the differences are that are causing this.
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Hi PaulHy,

Has your issue been resolved? Please feel free to let me know your latest result.

According to your reply, this issue only occurs in a specify project. And other projects don’t have any problems. Please refer to following scenario:

I think we should consider the version of the project, if the project was created by old version of VS, which may be have some compatibility issues of displaying .js function. If prossible, you could create a new project, and copy the contents from the old to the new one, whether it also has this issue.

In addition, would you please share me a simple that help me to repro your issue in my side. You could upload this simple to OneDrive and share a link here. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

• Proposed as answer by PaulHy Monday, August 22, 2016 9:13 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the follow-up. You're correct in that it only happens for one specific project, and I know that I could probably resolve it by recreating the project - for the moment I'm just living with the problem and will sort it out when I get some more time.

I think the only way to share it with you would be to share the whole project - Unfortunately I can't do this easily as it contains some client confidential information.

Thanks for your help though!

Paul

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Hi PaulHy,

If you have some new developments about this issue, please share them in this thread, which could help others who encountered the same issue as you and Horst Schneider. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:33 AM