gof - 20 years later RRS feed

• Question

• User-949571684 posted

Hello, the original GOF who wrote Design Patterns were:

* Erich Gamma
    * Richard Helm
    * Ralph Johnson
    * John Vlissides

I don't really hear any of these names today. Have some of these people retired or switched focus? Are any of these people active in the design pattern community today?

Have others become recognized leaders/experts in the modern design pattern community? If so then who?

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:48 PM

Answers

• User-1611549905 posted

A quick Wikipedia search tells me this:

• Erich Gamma now works for Microsoft, where he's heading up a team working on browser-based development tools.
    • Ralph Johnson is a Research Associate Professor of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
    • Sadly, John Vlissides passed away in 2005 from complications from a brain tumour.

I haven't been able to find anything up to date about Richard Helm. His Wikipedia entry redirects to the GoF book itself.

The main thought leader these days in the design patterns community is Martin Fowler. His book, Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture, is in many ways a sequel to the GoF book. I understand that Kent Beck has also done a lot of pioneering work with design patterns.

For an illuminating discussion on how the original GoF patterns have stood the test of time, Oren Eini's series of blog posts on ayende.com "Design patterns in the test of time" gives a good overview of how they've been used (and abused) over the years. Recommended reading IMO.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 8:24 AM