Expression Blend Design Capabilities vs VS 2008 Design Capabilities RRS feed

• Question

• I am primarily a developer. I have recently upgraded to VS 2008 Professional, which I am using to create WPF applications.

However, I am not too satisfied with VS 2008 design capabilities for WPF, and feel that they are not as powerful as VS design capabilities for Win Forms.

I have not used Expressional Blend before, but does it make sense to go for Expression Blend to design for WPF??
    Does Expression Blend offer me more productivity or features over VS 2008 while working with XAML, for me to decide to go for another MS product??
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:20 AM

All replies

• Howdy,

Absolutely Blend is your tool of choice here. The designer in VS is not mean to be a fully fledged designer as working in WPF is more about getting the designer/developer collaboration workflow in place, so Blend is the design tool for WPF and VS is certainly the code behind tool.

Blend allows you to implement animations, author and edit control templates and styles etc as well as a nice method of connecting between your layers with Binding. 

Have fun with it.

Cheers

Expression MVP

Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:35 AM
  • So, does that mean that blend provides Productivity & features not available in VS 2008 Professional??

Please provide independent and honest view (disregarding the fact that you people are working on Blend).

I am a freelance developer, and it should really provide me value for my money before I decide to go for it.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:08 PM