none
Is OLE automation possible with virtualized Office versions ? RRS feed

• Question

• We're developing a native Win32 application that uses OLE to put merge fields into new or existing word documents.

2 simple questions:

1. Is OLE automation possible with virtualized Office versions (like Click-to-Run 2010 or other future office versions using a similar technique)? We tested it, but the OLE objects are throwing errors.

2. If not, what kind of automation is possible in future?

Best regards

Gregor

• Moved by Max Meng Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:16 AM moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office Application Compatibility)
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Gregor

The 2010 Click-to-run apps have no automation interface and cannot be automated. As far as what has been available during 2013 beta, this kind of interface appears to have been abandoned, but a new technology has been introduced. So far, it hasn't supplanted the traditional technologies, but...

If your project is going to work with the new Word 2007 file formats, such as docx, then the best way for you to go would be to manipulate the files outside the Word application. The new file format is essentially a Zip package of XML files. As such, it can be unzipped and the individual files edited. You can also create new documents. This is called Office Open XML and the place to start would be OpenXMLDeveloper.org.

For more information on the "technology of the future", especially one that functions in the "web apps" and with Sharepoint, look for information on Office 2013 Apps (as in apps for smart phones). There's a forum here, where you can ask questions: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/appsforoffice/threads

Note that this will not work with versions earlier than 2013, now in beta.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Gregor

The 2010 Click-to-run apps have no automation interface and cannot be automated. As far as what has been available during 2013 beta, this kind of interface appears to have been abandoned, but a new technology has been introduced. So far, it hasn't supplanted the traditional technologies, but...

If your project is going to work with the new Word 2007 file formats, such as docx, then the best way for you to go would be to manipulate the files outside the Word application. The new file format is essentially a Zip package of XML files. As such, it can be unzipped and the individual files edited. You can also create new documents. This is called Office Open XML and the place to start would be OpenXMLDeveloper.org.

For more information on the "technology of the future", especially one that functions in the "web apps" and with Sharepoint, look for information on Office 2013 Apps (as in apps for smart phones). There's a forum here, where you can ask questions: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/appsforoffice/threads

Note that this will not work with versions earlier than 2013, now in beta.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

thank you for your suggestions. Very helpful. I installed the 2013 beta from technet. The "normal" local office installation seems to have still the possibility of OLE automation. It works like a charm. Will the final versions still have this option?

What are the plans of microsoft? Is it planned to ship office 2013 virtualized in "full" setups also (or depending on the package you bought)? Or will there only be some OEM packages like "Click-to-Run Starter"? In that case it would be no problem to demand our customers to buy a "full" package.

Any further information would be appreciated.

Cheers

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:35 AM
  • Hi Gregor

I'm afraid no one outside of Microsoft has any idea what will be in the final version(s) of the release product. But you could try asking in the 2013 Dev forum:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/officedevpreview/threads

The way it appears right now - but this is just according to the limited scope of what I've seen in beta, Office will be available as a full setup product (*.msi, the way we know it for some years now), as a "streamed" product (a download that basically installs the same as the *.msi and is sold on a subscription basis) or as part of "Office 365" (the SkyDrive thing), along with various kinds of things for mass licensing.

As far as I know, the "Click-to-Run Starter" isn't going to be an option, but note this is all "as far as I know", and I may not know very much :-)

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:11 AM