none
Service to Service calls on the same server RRS feed

• Question

• This is probably more of an architecture question so apologies if it is in the wrong location.

I am going to be building a new service that will be consumed by both windows and non windows clients (iOS, Andriod)

It will also be a high frequency service so I am currently considering using an ASP.NET Web API with JSON rather than WCF to make the service as light weight and highly consumable as possible.

That's not my main decision (although comments welcome). The web servers this is going to be installed on currently has a WCF service and the developer of this would like me to add all the logic of my service to this service and use my service as a proxy.

The service uses TCP bindings so I know it will be fast, I just have a bit of an issue with service to service calls on the same machine when I can just add a DLL reference to my project and have all the logic natively.

there are lots of articles and opinions on the good and bad of SOA but I do not necessarily include Service to Service as part of that, what are your thoughts, are you happy having a client facing proxy service calling a business logic service that calls a data access service?

Many thanks

Monday, November 11, 2013 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For your scenario, if performance is a big concern, then it is better to directly encapsulate the shared functionality into native .NET class libraies (and reference them in both services).

If performance is not a big concern, then I think it reasonable to build the new service as a standard WCF/ webservice and invoke it in the exisitng service through service proxy/reference. Thus, even if the same functionality need to be exposed to other mobile client (like iOS, android, windows phone), it can be easily extended (such as adding some REST endpoint).

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:58 AM