none
New pages wont save without an error message. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and to WE3. I've been learning through some of the tutorials but ran into a couple of problems. I found some fixes on here from previous posts but one thing still stumps me.

Originally this would work for me but now it doesn't and I could realy use some help.

When I create a new page in site view using the new page icon on the top right it allows me to open and create the page but when I try to change the name from the default name I get an error message saying "if you change the filename extension, the file may become unusable, Are you sure you want to change it?  If I hit yes it changes the file from an html type to nothing or blank type and when I try to open it web expresion 3 doesnt recognize it.

This started after I changed a setting to have EW3 open up the last website upon re-opening. I changed that setting back which fixed another problem but not this one. Is there a setting or something that i'm missing?

I'm using windows XP.

Thanks

Graham
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• Are you trying to change the filename as you are opening it? Are you including an extension recognizable by EW (htm, html, php, aspx, etc.)? The only way I can get the error dialog you're seeing is to rename the file without including a valid extension. The list of extensions openable by EW can be found in Tools|Application Options|Configure Editors.

When you create the new page, you will note that by default it is given either an HTM or HTML extension. You must include an extension when renaming, or the system will warn you, as it is now doing.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by notty drifter Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:08 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:40 PM

All replies

• Are you trying to change the filename as you are opening it? Are you including an extension recognizable by EW (htm, html, php, aspx, etc.)? The only way I can get the error dialog you're seeing is to rename the file without including a valid extension. The list of extensions openable by EW can be found in Tools|Application Options|Configure Editors.

When you create the new page, you will note that by default it is given either an HTM or HTML extension. You must include an extension when renaming, or the system will warn you, as it is now doing.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by notty drifter Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:08 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Hi Scott,

That was all it was, Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks

Graham

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:09 AM