none
Profile Containers recommended storage/network specifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i'm trying to implement FSLogix for a school with +/- 700 users. 
    I'm having serious perfomance issues on this.

Users are not able to login, when logged in experience disappearing desktops. Slow logons etc etc. I'm not sure if this is related to storage or networkissues.

I have 2 fileservers: 1 accomodates the administrative, personel, they are max 20. users. There are no issues there.
    Secondary fileserver supports 60 teachers and 600 students. Fileserver for teachers and students is a Windows Virtual Server, 32GB RAM, 1 VHDX file, which contains a ReFS partition where the vhd-files for the users are stored. Hostserver is a Dell PowerEdge R520 with dual E5-2430v2 cpu, running on 4x 600Gb SAS 15K drives in a RAID10 setup.

I use a dedicated1Gb ethernetadapter for the fileserver.

Anybody who can tell me if this is madly insufficient and why? Before using FSlogix, it supported roaming profiles and folder redirection for the same users. If insufficient, how can I calculate the necessary hardware.

Monday, September 30, 2019 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

What do you see on the file server when your users are having issues? Do the disks start having a lengthy amount of requests queued up or is the network saturated? How many users are logging on when you start having an issue?

Typically we are not that heavy on the server/network when compared to roaming profiles. It would depend somewhat on if their roaming profiles were already present on the machines where they are logging on and thus don't have much to sync each time they logon. FSLogix, of course, does not sync the data down to the local machine because the VHD is mounted from the remote location. But the data being read in the profile by Windows does cross the network from the file server to the client OS machine.

Regards,

Brent

Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:06 PM
    Owner