none
App crashes with error code 80131506 RRS feed

• Question

• We are using .Net Framework 4.0 and while running the console app the application is throwing below the error and exiting with error code 80131506.

"Faulting module name: clr.dll"

We have uninstalled the existing .NET 4.0 version and reinstalled. It worked properly for one month and again failed with same error. We have two environments, this type of behavior is seen in only one. Both the servers are on version 4.0 and windows 7 servers.

Monday, June 27, 2016 5:56 AM

Answers

• Hi HariKrishna Ummadisetti,

This is an know issue and possibly a bug in .NET 4.0. Disable Concurrent Garbage Collection is the only workaround from Microsoft support. Please try it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2679415

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:44 AM

All replies

>>"App crashes with error code 80131506"

Thank you for your post. This bug can be encountered when the Garbage Collector is freeing and compacting memory. The error can happen when the Concurrent Garbage Collection is enabled and a certain combination of foreground Garbage Collection and background Garbage Collection occurs. The workaround for it is disable the concurrent GC as explained in the following document.

How to: Disable Concurrent Garbage Collection

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:43 AM
  • Hi Li Wang,

Thank you for reply. I am using the console application and it runs on a single thread. As per link provided by you is suggesting not to modify the gcConcurrent, if application involves single thread. Is thre any other way to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Hari

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:34 AM

This is an know issue and possibly a bug in .NET 4.0. Disable Concurrent Garbage Collection is the only workaround from Microsoft support. Please try it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2679415

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:44 AM
  • Hi Li Wang,

If I upgrade .NET Framework to 4.5 does this upgrade fixes the issue. I mean does it updates the clr.dll.

Thanks

Hari

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Hi Hari,

>>"If I upgrade .NET Framework to 4.5 does this upgrade fixes the issue. I mean does it updates the clr.dll."

Yes, .NET Framework 4.5 user CLR 4.0 with an in-place(minor) update. It worth a try.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Thanks Li Wang. I have one question as I mentioned in my post we have 2 environments and this kind of behavior is seen only in one environment. Is there any way to find out what is causing to fail only in one environment.

Thanks

Hari

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Hi Hari,

It is a internal error. You need to install some debug tools to debug it. For example, WinDbg. You could download and install WinDbg from following link.

Download the WDK, WinDbg, and associated tools

In addition, it also worth to check all the code which interact with unmanaged code.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Thanks Li Wang for replying to thread.

We are also facing this issue in our WCF application (targeted for 4.0 framework) which use to call .net wrapper dll for c++ component. This issue is extremely random and rare.

My question is - Is there any code sample in C# to reproduce this issue deterministically.

It will be helpful. 

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, June 6, 2020 4:55 AM