none
Can Vista Media Center run as Guest in Hyper-V? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to use Server 2008 as my primary OS, and I would like to run Vista Ultimate as a guest OS. I would also like to use Media Center on Vista. I'm certain that Media Center will run, but does anyone know if Vista Media Center will be able to utilize my TV Tuner card since it's running as a Gues OS in Hyper-V?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:01 PM

All replies

• Now that Hyper-V is coming in a stand alone version, this question becomes even more relevant for home server / media center computers. Does anyone know the answer to this question ?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:40 AM
  • I'm told you can run homeserver in a vm

VM's have very basic emulated video cards,  so the tv-tuner card would likely not be supported

it is also inadvisable to attempt to combine  gaming and hyper-v on the same system (no matter of the game is run from host or guest partitions) for the same reason.

As of 8/22/2008 this forum is de-comissioned, and there's pretty much nobody minding this particular MSDN forum..  all the virtualization support is over in the technet form

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

(note the pinned message at the top of the forum that they are de-commissioning these on the 22nd  )

Further discussion of this issue should be moved to the technet virtulization forum.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:59 PM