none
17.7.6.6 tblStylePr - what is firstRow, lastRow RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Dave,

You are right, it is not documented how the row(s) having the tblHeader element are separated from the regular rows, on the above picture the brown line.

I’ve submitted a suggestion that this should be documented in [MS-OI29500].

Thanks, Vilmos

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:43 PM

All replies

• Dave,

One of our engineers will investigate this and follow-up with you soon.

Thanks,

Edgar

Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Hi Vilmos;

Any luck finding an answer?

thanks - dave

Who will win The International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Monday, October 8, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I am still looking into this issue. I hope to have more information for you soon. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Vilmos

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi Dave,

It has been mentioned on the Forum that a minimal sample file should show the problem.

In the first sentence of your original posting you refer to a picture, but I didn’t find a picture in your sample document. Please post a screen-shot of what are you referring to.

You are asking “is firstRow treating all header rows as a single unit”. A simple way to get the answer is to add a color, which is not used in the document, to firstRow, so it will look like this:
        <w:tblStylePr w:type="firstRow">
          <w:rPr>
            <!-- light blue, DOES have effect on the tblHeader rows -->
            <w:color w:val="1F1FFF"/>
            <w:sz w:val="24"/>
            <w:szCs w:val="24"/>
          </w:rPr>
    …………………………………………
        </w:tblStylePr>

And your sample document will start this way:

I don’t completely understand “why does lastRow's border never show up?”, my guess is the document has only the w:lastRow="0" setting. In other words, your <w:tblStylePr w:type="lastRow"> setting will never be applied.

What I find is the sample file is rendered as it should be so perhaps I don’t completely understand the issue.

Thanks, Vilmos

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Hi Vilmos;

I agree with you that changing the settings for the first row does impact the second row in this case. And according to 17.18.89 it should. My question about the border, which the spec is silent about, is how the border is applied. I assumed the bottom border would be at the bottom of every header row. But it looks like it is only on the bottom of the last header row.

So how are borders applied when there are multiple header rows? Top, bottom, left, right, and inner? And is this specified anywhere or is it try it in Word, follow what Word does, and watch service packs and new version in case it changes?

For the lastRow, that makes sense (the w:lastRow="0").

thanks - dave

Who will win The Windward International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Monday, October 29, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Hi Dave,

You are right, it is not documented how the row(s) having the tblHeader element are separated from the regular rows, on the above picture the brown line.

I’ve submitted a suggestion that this should be documented in [MS-OI29500].

Thanks, Vilmos

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:43 PM
  • Thanks. Once they make it official, can you post the official answer here? (I assume they will have an answer to you before the documentation gets updated.)

thanks - dave

Who will win The Windward International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Hi Dave,

ISO/IEC-29500-1:2008 in “17.7.6.6  tblStylePr (Style Conditional Table Formatting Properties)” does not define how the different parts of a table in a document, e.g. Header row and Table body, are separated. The standard is not intended to specify how an implementation visually presents the UI, it is intended to specify how the intent of the user is persisted in the files. The Microsoft Word uses the green highlighted line for the separation, other similar word processors can use some other way to show the separation without violating interoperability. Because this is an implementation detail, this is not the subject in [MS-OI29500].

Thanks, Vilmos

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:35 PM