Bluetooth on Asus EP121 not working in Windows Developer Preview?

Answers

• I've fixed my bluetooth!! Both keyboard and mouse now working

Download the WLAN driver for the EP121 from the ASUS support site as this does the WLAN and bluetooth (mine was the 64 bit Win7 one as I had 64 bit Win8 installed)

Extract it and then run setup - it will fail saying that this is the wrong version of windows. A couple of seconds later a windows popup will ask if it worked ok - click no- re-run in compatability mode.

The install will now run OK - I deselected the WLAN driver (as Wireless is working fine anyway) and let it install the bluetooth stuff. The bluetooth icon appeared on the system tray - open the settings from here once the installer has finished and click the 'allow devices to see this PC' option (not sure if this is absolutely necessary ).

Then held down the bluetooth button on both the keyboard and the mouse, went into the 'add device' option in the control panel and the devices showed up - they both connected first time and just worked.

My only issue with Win8 now is the lack of flash in Metro IE10 and the non-functional G-sensor (orientation doesn't work).

One happy camper

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:13 PM

All replies

• I'm seeing exactly the same issue. It's a pity, since the device comes with a great  Bluetooth keyboard which really makes it a desktop replacement as well as a tablet/slate.

Since they've been showing Win8 off on the EP121 for a while I would have expected everything to be working.

Some other issues with this build on the device

1) The keyboard switch only works in 'classic desktop' mode

2) The G sensor is detected in device manager, but there is no option for sensors in control panel and the screen orientation doesn't change when you rotate the device (also makes Labyrinth unplayable)

3) Although flicks are still in the control panel they have no effect - having got so used to the 'back' flick on this device under Win7/IE9 I REALLY miss this. Having to swipe up from the bottom of IE10 to get to the 'back' button is becoming  tiresome

If we can fix the Bluetooth issue I may be able to continue using the dev preview as my day-to-day environment, otherwise I fear I shall have to reinstall Win7

Cheers,

Mark

P.s. one more thing - the lack of the 'up' and 'down' arrows on the keyboard is very annoying also - as is the fact the windows key is missing!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Yes, there is a problem with Bluetooth on the EP121. We're working with Atheros on a driver package for Windows 8.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:40 PM
  • I've fixed my bluetooth!! Both keyboard and mouse now working

Download the WLAN driver for the EP121 from the ASUS support site as this does the WLAN and bluetooth (mine was the 64 bit Win7 one as I had 64 bit Win8 installed)

Extract it and then run setup - it will fail saying that this is the wrong version of windows. A couple of seconds later a windows popup will ask if it worked ok - click no- re-run in compatability mode.

The install will now run OK - I deselected the WLAN driver (as Wireless is working fine anyway) and let it install the bluetooth stuff. The bluetooth icon appeared on the system tray - open the settings from here once the installer has finished and click the 'allow devices to see this PC' option (not sure if this is absolutely necessary ).

Then held down the bluetooth button on both the keyboard and the mouse, went into the 'add device' option in the control panel and the devices showed up - they both connected first time and just worked.

My only issue with Win8 now is the lack of flash in Metro IE10 and the non-functional G-sensor (orientation doesn't work).

One happy camper

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Asus Drivers also worked for me!

Still looking for a resolution to:

1. Accelerometer "G Sensor" not functioning.
    2. Silverlight and Flash not working in Metro IE10 (Desktop browser works fine)  but I want youtube and netflix in my metro browser.

Any solutions to at least one would be great.

Yes Hyper-V is amazing
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:13 PM
  • BT came up for me after installing the Asus drivers. Unfortunately, as I was typing the pairing number into the keyboard, it informed me that "the keyboard stopped listening" and suggested I try pairing again.

Now when I try and pair, it asks me for the number, instead of telling it to me. Since it was only on screen a short time the first time it came up, I have no idea what it is now. Anyone know how I can delete the stored information so it finds the keyboard "fresh" again?

I also have not gotten the accellerometer working, and the hardware keyboard switch doesn't function in anything other than desktop mode. That's a shame, since it'd be nice to be able to immediately start typing to launch apps.

Also: the hardware volume buttons are not working either.
    • Edited by TracyLa Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Hi Tracy,

For the BT keyboard, you are in the legacy pairing mode after two unsuccessful pairing attempts. You can enter "0000"+Enter on the UI and then enter "0000"+Enter on the keyboard to complete the pairing.

Thanks,

EricLi [MSFT]

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Bluetooth Works for me and also the Audio Buttons work after installing the Asus Drivers and running windows update. Gsensor is the same story as with everyone else.

Mike

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:05 PM
  • That worked for me too. Thanks!

There is a GSensor driver on Asus website. Anyone has tried it?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Does the main button (the one on the front that used to do win+tab) do anything for anybody? My other buttons all do basically what I would expect (the keyboard button does not work in metro though...)

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:28 AM
  • If you configure the setup.exe to run in windows 7 compatibility mode for the Asus wireless Lan drivers from their site, the Bluetooth drivers will work.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:28 AM
  • The main button works if you press it for one second: it shows Ctrl+Alt+Del screen.

But it does nothing if I just try to use it normally on my EP 121.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Bluetooth Works for me and also the Audio Buttons work after installing the Asus Drivers and running windows update. Gsensor is the same story as with everyone else.

Mike

Screen rotation is disabled in the Dev Preview build.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Thanks for the explanation. No need to keep looking then
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:37 PM

Mike

Which drivers did you download? I downloaded the HotKey Service Utilitiy and it keeps giving me ACPI errors.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I got as far as trying to pair.  It is asking for a passcode but "0000" on slate does not work and "0000" on keyboard is not recognizaed as it is not paired yet.  I am close....but need a bit of help.  Microsoft article says "0000" is the code  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952818

Desperate please...someone help.  This is the only thing not working other than g-sensor which i think we can agree that just does not work...

any ideas?

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:02 AM
  • The ones from the Asus.Com site and I went through installing all bits and pieces from the site
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Odd I have a THD PX-1/mTouch1 Tablet too and the Screen Rotation is working, odd indeed

Mike

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:27 PM
  • You can try entering "0000"+Enter on the UI and then enter "0000"+Enter on the keyboard to complete the pairing.

Thanks,

EricLi [MSFT]

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Regarding the G-Sensor (Accelerometer) - this platform does not have a proper Windows sensor driver (proprietary ASUS driver). This means that it will not work with screen rotation or apps. If we get an update for Windows 8, I'll post it to the "Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices" forum.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:46 PM
  • It Works fine thanks, but the driver that Works is the old one, wlan.zip.

I spended 3 hours  with the new one (win7_v9-2-0-419.rar) and it did not work

Monday, October 10, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Any updates regarding the G-sensor and the driver?
    Monday, November 21, 2011 6:45 AM
  • If your guys wish to turn the orientation iRotate offers shortcut to do it. I do wish we could us the G-Sensor but for now this program works great! http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/iRotate.shtml
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 8:29 PM
  • 3) Although flicks are still in the control panel they have no effect - having got so used to the 'back' flick on this device under Win7/IE9 I REALLY miss this. Having to swipe up from the bottom of IE10 to get to the 'back' button is becoming  tiresome

It works with stylus;

Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:04 PM