[UWP]The specified module could not be found Exception when using .dll packaged as a .vsix RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to port my Windows Phone 8 app to Windows 10. Our company provides music recognition & discovery services. We have our native SDK written in C/C++. We package this SDK .dll as a .vsix package. We provide this .vsix extension along with a sample application for developer's reference. 

I create this .vsix package & install it. I then "Add Reference" in my sample & select this .vsix so that it gets added as a Reference in the sample. All this is working fine. VS is able to see the symbols, exposed by our dll & I am able to build the app successfully.

The problem arises when I run the sample app. When sample tries to use any of the symbols, it gets an Exception with the following message "The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT:0x8007007E);null"

Looks like VS is able to find the dll during build/compile time but unable to use it during run time. 
    Where does VS copy the dll which is packaged in a .vsix extension in this case?

We used to same architecture(package our dll as a .vsix extension) with WinPhone8 solution as well & it all used to work well.
    Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ganesh

Saturday, March 12, 2016 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Ganesh,

Not sure how you add a .VSIX as a reference to a WinPhone project. A .vsix is nothing more than a deployment mechanism for a VS extension. Essentially, it's a .zip file with a manifest and payload. I suspect you meant you are adding a reference to this sdk dll.

Additionally, just because you reference an assembly or dll, doesn't mean it gets deployed with your application. I suspect you just need to copy the assembly to the same directory by setting the "Copy Local" property on the assembly reference to true.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Saturday, March 12, 2016 4:13 AM
  • Hi Ed Dore, 

Thanks for your response. Let me elaborate on the contents of our .vsix package. 

• Redist\Debug\x86\Gracenote.dll
    • Redist\Retail\x86\Gracenote.dll
    • Reference\Debug\x86\Gracenote.winmd
    • Reference\Retail\x86\Gracenote.winmd
    • [Content_Types].xml
    • extension.vsixmanifest
    • SDKManifest.xml

I double click the .vsix file to install it in VS-2015. Then I open my C# sample. In the Solution Explorer of the sample, under References I right click & select "Add Reference". This is how I add the vsix package to my sample. Once I do this VS-2015 is able to resolve, all the classes which are defined in Gracenote.dll & I am able to build the sample.
    When I deploy the solution on emulator though, I hit the above mentioned error.

While generating the .vsix, I have set the following for each of the dll's & winmd's, in their corresponding Advanced Properties section:

• Build Action  Content
    • Copy to Output Directory  Copy Always
    • Include in VSIX  True

Can you kindly let me know how to set the "Copy Local" property on the assembly reference to true.

Thanks,

Ganesh

Saturday, March 12, 2016 5:06 AM
  • Hi Ed,

I followed the steps specified here:https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/t1zz5y8c(v=vs.100).aspx

Unfortunately, I cannot see this Copy Local option in the list of properties for my reference.

These are the list of options which are displayed under Reference Properties section for my reference: 

• Name  Gracenote Universal Windows SDK
    • File Type  SDK
    • Identity Gracenote Universal Windows SDK, Version=1.0
    • Path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.0\ExtensionSDKs\Gracenote Universal Windows SDK\1.0
    • Resolved  True
    • Version  1.0.0.0

I verified this path,C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.0\ExtensionSDKs\Gracenote Universal Windows SDK\1.0 and our dll(Gracenote.dll) is available at this location.
    As you can see VS says it is Resolved as well

Saturday, March 12, 2016 5:51 AM
  • Hi ganeshskudva,

Frist of all, VSIX is a Visual Studio extension, not a referenceable assembly, you cannot reference a vsix package in your .NET project.

>>I am trying to port my Windows Phone 8 app to Windows 10.

The solution depends on the meaning of “Windows 10”, is it meaning classic desktop app or Windows Runtime App? If it is Classic desktop app, we could use P/Invoke or COM to interop with C++, otherwise, we need to use Windows Runtime Component.

>>We have our native SDK written in C/C++. We package this SDK .dll as a .vsix package.

What kind of project do you create to accomplish this SDK .dll?

>> We used to same architecture(package our dll as a .vsix extension) with WinPhone8 solution as well & it all used to work well.

How do you use this SDK .dll in Windows Phone 8 app? P/Invoke or COM Interop?
    Finally, you can also try to add your SDK .dll to your application directly, not add a .vsix to your application, and then compile and run it. You could debug your application one step by step, and then find which line of code occurs error when you run the application.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:09 AM
  • To elaborate slightly on what I believe is happening here. The .VSIX file is simply the deployment mechanism for your custom SDK, as outlined here:

Creating a Software Development Kit

In addition to your earlier description of the problem, you might want to post the contens of those respective SDKManifest.xml files in each of the .VSIX files you are creating.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:29 AM
  • Hi Li Wang,

Thanks for your response. 

When I say I am trying to port my Windows Phone 8 app to Windows 10, I would expect the app to run on both Local Machine & Phone on Windows(Universal Windows Platform) Is my understanding correct?

In Windows Phone 8 we were creating, Windows Runtime Component type project to generate our SDK.dll from native C/C++ code. I am following the same steps as well even in Windows-10. In VS-2015, I use New->Project->Templates->Visual C++->Windows->Universal->Windows Runtime Component (Universal Windows) to build our native SDK. Using this template I create both .dll & .winmd files(Gracenote.dll & Gracenote.winmd correspondingly).

Since our SDK.dll(Gracenote.dll) is created a Windows Runtime Component, we did not use either P/Invoke or COM Interop with out Windows Phone 8 app. I am using the same architecture even in Windows-10.

Further, as you suggested for debugging purposes, I removed .vsix packaging from the equation all together. Now I have a Windows 10 Project written in C# and our native SDK project written in C++. Both are in the same solution. The C++ project is a dynamic library used in C# project. The C++ project is configured to produce a .dll & a .winmd files respectively.
    Even with this setting I still see issue. I am copying my Output logs when I see this issue.

'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\USample.exe'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug_14.0.23506.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vcruntime140_app.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0_1.0.23430.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\UWPHost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0_1.0.23430.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\coreclr.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\WinTypes.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptsp.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\crypt32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msasn1.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    The thread 0x3c44 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0_1.0.23430.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\mscorlib.ni.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.CoreRuntime.1.0_1.0.23430.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\mscorlib.ni.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\entrypoint\USample.exe'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\entrypoint\USample.exe'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\WinMetadata\Windows.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\WinMetadata\Windows.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\iertutil.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\BCP47Langs.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\CoreMessaging.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\powrprof.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\profapi.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\twinapi.appcore.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\actxprxy.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\CoreUIComponents.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dxgi.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rmclient.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rmclient.dll'
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d11.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.Extensibility.Windows.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.Extensibility.Windows.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\igd10iumd64.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ncrypt.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntasn1.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\igdusc64.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Threading.Tasks.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Threading.Tasks.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d2d1.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dcomp.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\MrmCoreR.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\AppData\Local\Temp\VisualStudio.XamlDiagnostics.9f297e58-9685-46b7-b504-b9c47a0b674a_1.0.0.0_x64__yyjvd81p022em\XamlDiagnostics.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\AppData\Local\Temp\VisualStudio.XamlDiagnostics.9f297e58-9685-46b7-b504-b9c47a0b674a_1.0.0.0_x64__yyjvd81p022em\WindowsXamlDiagnosticsTap.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\mscoree.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\DataExchange.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Diagnostics.Debug.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Diagnostics.Debug.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.UI.Xaml.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime.UI.Xaml.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Gracenote.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Gracenote.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.ObjectModel.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.ObjectModel.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Collections.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Collections.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.Extensions.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Runtime.Extensions.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Private.Uri.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Private.Uri.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\DWrite.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.Globalization.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msftedit.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\globinputhost.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ninput.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.PersistenceChannel.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.PersistenceChannel.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Threading.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Threading.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.ApplicationModel.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\propsys.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10586.0_none_396e892957c7fb25\comctl32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10586.0_none_396e892957c7fb25\comctl32.dll'
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10586.0_none_396e892957c7fb25\comctl32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10586.0_none_396e892957c7fb25\comctl32.dll'
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Diagnostics.Tracing.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Diagnostics.Tracing.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Linq.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Linq.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Globalization.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.Globalization.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.IO.dll'. 
    'USample.exe' (CoreCLR: CoreCLR_UWP_Domain): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\System.IO.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    The thread 0x3908 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    The thread 0x363c has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Gracenote.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'USample.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Users\gkudva\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\USample\USample\bin\x64\Debug\AppX\Gracenote.dll'
    Exception thrown: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' in USample.exe
    The thread 0x4020 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    The thread 0x3f50 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    The thread 0x36f0 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
       at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetWinRTFactoryObject(IntPtr pCPCMD)
       at Gracenote.GnManager..ctor(String license, GnLicenseInputMode licenseInputMode)
       at USample.MainPage.<initMusicID>d__17.MoveNext()
    The thread 0x3b00 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    The thread 0x2ec8 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:59 PM
  • Hi Li Wang,

Thanks for your response. 
    If I add the .dll(skipping the .vsix) directly to my C# project & try to run, I am getting this error:

exception 0x80131522 Requested Windows Runtime type ‘libname’ is not registered (mscorlib)

Thanks,

Ganesh

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 11:32 PM
  • Hi Ganesh,

Visual Studio Integrated forum is aim to discuss and ask questions about extending and integrating with Visual Studio. Based on your question is more related to UWP. I suggest you post your question in UWP forum for better support.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=wpdevelop

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, March 20, 2016 5:52 AM