none
Offline Capability of Office Apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In our case, we will be fetching data from different data sources and dumping into excel worksheets. Once the user goes offline, he performs calculations based on some business rules and gets final values.

Is using Office Apps a better option than VSTO in the above case?

Are there any limitations\concerns in using Office Apps for downloading huge data from databases, performing aggregations on the data and displaying data using various representations like charts, graphs,etc?  

Thanks

Umesh N

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thank you trying out apps for Office.

Apps for Office is able to work offline, but there's some limitation. Work offline make use of HTML 5 application Cache API and HTML5 web storage. Web storage provides roughly 10 megabytes (MB) for each storage area.

VSTO doesn't have this limitation.

Hope this gets you started.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I want to further clarify, if connected to the database from Apps for Office, how many rows can be populated into one excel sheet and how many sheets in a workbook can be used to download data. Is there any limitation? Is the capacity (on the # rows) increased in Apps for Office in Excel from Office 2010?

If after going offline and modifying the data in all the sheets of a workbook, can all the data be updated back to database on reconnecting? Will there be latency issues/excel hanging due to huge data?

Thanks

Umesh N

Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:45 AM
  • Hi, As I know, there's no such limitation: data rows populate in worksheet, nor sheets can be used to download data.  Note that, Apps for Office is designed for Office 2013, it's a new programming model that take advantage of web. Office 2010 doesn't support this feature.

As you work offline, the data is processed asynchronously. You're able to write back the data. About latency in this process, I don't heard of known issue here.

regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:08 AM
  • Good response Forrest, one thing I wanted to add for Umesh is that VSTO apps are not constrained by "same origin" (so you can only call back to where the app was loaded from - may be a problem if dealing with multiple secured end points) and they can also use database native transports which can be considerably faster than oData (or another) web based data retrieval api that must be used by JavaScript.

...pc

Saturday, November 10, 2012 12:27 AM