Mobilty Radeon X1400 Driver Won't Install

Question

• I have an old laptop.  About 5 years old.  It runs Windows 7 Ultimate x64 fine with all the Aero affects and glass turned on.  When I installed Windows 7, Windows Update installed a display driver labelled, "ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Mobility Radeon X1400".  It worked perfectly.  I can still boot into that install and see it.
    I have no idea why it won't install on the developer preview.  I tried the DELL driver from their web site but it doesn't like Windows 8 or Windows 7, or even Windows XP Compatibility Modes.
    I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 (I know it's old).
    Any ideas?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have exactly same problem with X600. Windows 7 installed their own. Is it possible to use Win 7 driver somehow?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:22 PM
  • I was finally able to get it to work, but I had to install the x86 build of Windows 8 Developer Preview.  It's OK for me, this older machine has only 2GB of ram.

Cheers!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:02 AM
  • I got a Compaq Presario v3000. I didn't have to install a graphics driver in Win7. It came bundled with it I guess.

Now, I search in the HP website and try to install ATI driver, but it doesn't seem to work the way it should. The installation gets only half done (Installs the Catalyst Install Manager or whatever) and then goes away. I cannot get the manager to run.

When I try files in the SWsetup folder, I get to install or uninstall the same Manager.

I download just the driver package and it doesn't work, as well.

Videos stutter, the Windows + Tab feature isn't smooth, youtube is a mess. I don't know how to handle this!

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Same to me here. it is boring to see my core 2 duo Dell inspiron 6400 runs like a Pentium 2 graphics. Where is Ati X1400 for this shiny Windows 8 ? AMD Please make the driver support!! :((
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:15 AM

• nVidia GeForce Go 6150 Drivers.

:(

Please save me!

Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:37 AM
  • AMD does not support ATI RADEON MOBILITY X1400 for years already, so I doubt whether they will start to support it again suddenly. So the only way is to use a generic driver or try to persuade the few years old drivers designed for Windows 7.

@venkiraja: How does your last post fits into the AMD X1400 thread?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:55 AM
  • I had posted so that somebody might help! Sorry for the mismatch. I'm facing terrible problems without the driver! :\
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:13 PM
  • I've an Inspiron 9400 with the X1400 ATi graphics. I installed the drivers that are on Dell's site (file R153383 - vista drivers) in the 32-bit version of Win8 and they installed fine (there was a dialogue that popped about Catalyst) with no issues.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:35 PM
  • No luck here either. Tried the Catalyst package as directed to from ATI Catalyst™ Mobility Display Driver but it failed on OS recognition and with compat mode it said it couldnt find a suitable adapter.

Hope this can be remedied as it would be nice to see win8 running in non chugging display mode.

The laptop is an asus m6000 that's 5 years old. Hope it's included in the runs on older hardware vision Sinofsky presented.

edit: to clarify, this model uses an Radeon Mobility X600, like the second poster in this thread.

• Edited by Mick N Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:30 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:27 PM
  • X1400 graphic cards are not supported in the current versions of Catalyst. Read the Release notes linked above the table.

So if something have a chance to work it need to be quite older (2008 or so).

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:56 AM
  • I installed the R153383 download from Dell running in Windows Vista Sp1 compatibility mode and it worked for me.  I chose custom install and did not install the Catalyst suite - just the driver itself.

Thanks for the tip S.S4BOUR1N!

Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:08 PM
  • I have a 4 year old Packard Bell laptop which runs Vista & ran W7 Beta without issues. However, without a M series ATI driver W8 DP runs slow & is unusable. I need 'old' drivers as I was planning to upgrade to W8 but only if I am sure it will run smoothly.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:07 AM