Windows 8 Store App and Desktop App communication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I know that Store App and Desktop App communication is not supported because it would not pass Store Cert.  But does this also go for Store Apps that are not going to be public?  Apps that would only be used internally?  If not, will this be released in the future?  Doesn't the Internet Explorer Store App have the ability to launch the desktop version of IE (or does it just use the Launcher class?)

Thanks in advance for taking a look at my questions.

Monday, December 31, 2012 8:30 PM

Answers

• There is no supported way to do this from a general purpose app.

The user's default browser is handled specially so that the desktop browser can also run in the new user experience, but that facility is available only to the user's chosen browser.

The recommended behavior is to store shared information on a cloud server (possibly within your private network). Windows Store apps cannot directly launch other applications, but they can launch documents or protocols with the Launcher class. Your desktop app could register its own protocol which the Windows Store app could launch to open the desktop app to open to a context defined in the protocol.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:20 PM

All replies

• I believe the metro version of IE will be launched by default.  What are you trying to accomplish? 
    Monday, December 31, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Hi _morse,

You are correct that you are not supported to communicate between Windows Store and Desktop applications. However, it is supported for you share data among Windows Store apps. You can achieve that by using the Sharing and exchanging feature. See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464923.aspx Is it fullfil your requirement?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 8:56 AM
  • I'd like to be able to share information between a Store App and  Desktop app.  My Store App would be a trimmed down version of the Desktop app and if the user was looking at something in the Store App I'd like them to be able to launch the Desktop app in the same context.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2013 5:20 PM
  • There is no supported way to do this from a general purpose app.

The user's default browser is handled specially so that the desktop browser can also run in the new user experience, but that facility is available only to the user's chosen browser.

The recommended behavior is to store shared information on a cloud server (possibly within your private network). Windows Store apps cannot directly launch other applications, but they can launch documents or protocols with the Launcher class. Your desktop app could register its own protocol which the Windows Store app could launch to open the desktop app to open to a context defined in the protocol.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:20 PM
  • Sorry for the late response but thank you for answering my question.

I've looked at the documentation for adding a protocol in the package.appxmanifest for Windows Store Apps, but how do I add a protocol for the existing or new Desktop app?  Is there an easier way than editing the registry?

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:40 PM