An error has occurred while accessing the SQL Server database or the Office SharePoint Server Search service RRS feed

• Question

• Recently , i joined the server ( to run Indexing , search services) to the existing sharepoint farm.When i am trying to import the user profiles and properties , i am getting this error.
    "An error has occurred while accessing the SQL Server database or the Office SharePoint Server Search service. If this is the first time you have seen this message, try again later. If this problem persists, contact your administrator."

I figured out that the Shared service application is running under Office server web service application pool which   was running under the NETWORK SERVICE account.The NETWORK SERVICE did not have the rights to access the search service and/or database.When i am trying to change the Shared Service Provider  Application to its  application pool , it is automatically resetting to the office server web services application pool which runs under NETWORK SERVICE .

Please tell me how do we make the Shared Service Provider get rid off Office Server Web services application pool??

Is there any fixes or solution to get this done.I appreciate your response .
    Thank you

Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:41 PM

Answers

• HI ,

I have upgraded to RTM version to SP2 Version , The shared application pool is now  running under its own application pool . now its working perfect .

It seems the cause of this issue may be due to the Version of SharePoint .

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by deep0421 Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hi deep0421,

could you please read the following blog address your issue
    http://epmimplementations.blogspot.com/2009/08/error-has-occurred-while-accessing-sql.html

also the following thread have similar issue:-
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointsearch/thread/207c868f-c4ae-4f2f-b340-d7d0e656db2b

Best Regrads, Ahmed Madany
    Friday, January 22, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Thank you for your response ,i tried that before mentioned in the Link"http://epmimplementations.blogspot.com/2009/08/error-has-occurred-while-accessing-sql.html " telnet is not recognized as internal or external command on my web front server. I tried to install that on the server ,but it was asking to restart  the server which i cannot do that .
    So , i am looking for  alternative solutions which solves this .

Please, assist me in getting rid of this error.

Friday, January 22, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Ahmed Madany, please try the following steps to resolve the issue:

1.      Run C:\Program Files\IIS Resources\SelfSSL\selfssl /s:951338967 /v:1000 (where 951338967 is the default ID of Office Server Web Services ; SelfSSL is available from the IIS 6.0 Resource Kit.);

2.      Update .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 on all the servers of the SharePoint farm.

Exact step by step resolution details are given in the resolution section of KB962928: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=962928

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hi  @Xue -mei,@Ahmed

Here is the Detailed information of my Issue
    Issue Definition: Wheni click on the Shared service provider and user profiles and properties ,Iam getting this error "
    An error has occurred while accessing the SQL Server database or the Office SharePoint Server Search service. If this is the first time you have seen this message, try again later. If this problem persists, contact your administrator"

Search and profile import functionalities are not working as expected after joining the Indexing  server and configuring the Shared Service Provider.

This is because of the incorrect application pool configuration for SSP Shared admin web services.

During the installation and configuration of SSP, the installer creates an application pool with name of SSP and assigns this application pool to shared admin web services virtual directory.

This application pool runs under Domain\SSPAdmin. The installer is creating this application pool with required permissions and assigning this to the shared admin web services, after a minute or so somehow the application pool is being reset to its parent web sites application pool (Officesharepointserverapplicationpool) which runs under local network services. This is causing the SQL login issues.

As there is no user interface to change the application pool, have tried following workarounds:

• Recreated a new second SSP and changed the default SSP binding. Observed the same behavior.

• Manually changed the application pool. The application pool will reset to that of its parent web site in minutes.

• Manually changed the application pool and run configuration wizard (psconfig.exe) on index server. This works for couple of minutes and the application pool will reset in minutes.
      I even browsed to" %windir%\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationhost.config "

and tried to change the OfficeServerApplicationPool to SharedService application pool over here "<application path="/SharedServices1" applicationPool="OfficeServerApplicationPool ">
                        <virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\WebServices\Shared" />
                    </application>"

• Tried to write a small windows application which will assign the application pool programmatically, but not able to find API which will give access to the application pool.

Cleared caches by getting into the C:ProgramData-Microsoft-sharepoint-Config-Cache(Edited to 1) and cleared the rest.

These are all the steps i made to make the SharedServices run under its own application pool.
    but nothing helped me solve this issue .I don't understand why the Shared Services is automatically getting under the office Webserver application pool. 

Need  Help!!
    Thank you,

• Marked as answer by deep0421 Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by deep0421 Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:49 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:37 AM
  • HI ,

I have upgraded to RTM version to SP2 Version , The shared application pool is now  running under its own application pool . now its working perfect .

It seems the cause of this issue may be due to the Version of SharePoint .

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by deep0421 Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:53 PM