none
VS 2010 Express + MySql RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, 

I have installed MySql Connector 6.3.2 Beta. I am able to use the references of MySql.Data and MySql.Data.Entity. But i am not able to create a connection in DataBase browser tab in VS 2010. I am not able to get MySql Connector listed in Data Source list box in the add new Conhnection Dialog box!!... 

I have VS 2008 residing on the same machine, where i can create the Connection of MySql using MySql Datasource. But not in VS 2010 Express.

I reinstalled this a number of times, with VS 2010 uninstalled, but the same prevails. The problem is only with VS2010 Express. 

Please guide if there is fix for this

Thanks, 

Parth J Joshi

http://www.parthjoshi.com

Saturday, July 3, 2010 8:34 PM

Answers

• This is a limitation of the Express editions of Visual Studio.  They offer very limited designer support for databases.  For example, you can't connect to a standard SQL Server database using the Visual Studio designers using an Express edition, only a "user instance" database.

You can still work with MySQL databases via code using the .NET Framework.

While I'm guessing this isn't the answer you were hoping for, I hope that knowing that you're running into a limitation of the Express edition helps save you some time searching around for the cause of the behavior.

David Sceppa
    • Marked as answer by Parth Joshi Sunday, July 4, 2010 10:10 AM
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Thansk sir, 

that is what i discovered

And yes.. you are correct, the you can code in visual studio using MySQL Connector, but not able to do the Database Designing. 

Thanks, 

Parth J Joshi

www.parthjoshi.com

Parth J Joshi http://www.parthjoshi.com
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 10:10 AM

All replies

• This is a limitation of the Express editions of Visual Studio.  They offer very limited designer support for databases.  For example, you can't connect to a standard SQL Server database using the Visual Studio designers using an Express edition, only a "user instance" database.

You can still work with MySQL databases via code using the .NET Framework.

While I'm guessing this isn't the answer you were hoping for, I hope that knowing that you're running into a limitation of the Express edition helps save you some time searching around for the cause of the behavior.

David Sceppa
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Thansk sir, 

that is what i discovered

And yes.. you are correct, the you can code in visual studio using MySQL Connector, but not able to do the Database Designing. 

Thanks, 

Parth J Joshi

www.parthjoshi.com

Parth J Joshi http://www.parthjoshi.com
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 10:10 AM