none
Shared Addin on 32 bit Office in 64 bit OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed a shared add-in using VS 2005. I tried installing the add-in on 2 different computers (both with 64bit Windows 7) using the MSI installer produced by VS. However, the add-in worked in 1 of the 64 bit systems and failed to load on another.

As an additional note, I would like to specify that the add-in worked in the 64 bit system that has VS 2005 installed (but I only installed the add-in and did not develop code in this machine). The other 64bit system did not have VS installed. 

Could someone throw some light on why there is this difference between 2 systems of similar configuration in loading a shared add-in?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello ramz-g,

Thanks for posting. Do these two machines have the same 32-bit office installed? If there is on machine with Office 2010 64-bit installed, the registry hive will be different.

To troubleshoot this issue, please refer to this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsod/archive/2008/04/22/troubleshooting-com-add-in-load-failures.aspx.

For more information about deployment, please see this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2010/04/09/deploying-com-add-ins-for-64-bit-office-using-visual-studio-saaid-khan-for-nathan-halstead.aspx.

If you have any concern on this post, just feel free to follow up. Merry Christmas. :-)

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by ramz_g Monday, January 10, 2011 9:36 AM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 9:51 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

Merry Christmas to you too... :-)

Yes. Both the machines have Office 2003 installed.(32 bit of course). On one machine it works and on the other it does not. However, add-ins for powerpoint and outlook work fine on both the computers. The problem is only with Word and Excel add-ins.

Ya I understand that office 2010 64bit  has a different reg hive.

I shall follow your links and get back with the results.

Thank You

Ram
    • Edited by ramz_g Saturday, December 25, 2010 3:02 AM added content
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 3:01 AM
  • To follow the troubleshooting step, you might get some useful information. I also suggest you could try to create a simple shared add-in for Word or Excel, and see if this issue also happens. Have a nice day.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

Thanks  for sharing those links. They helped a lot. Now the add-in seems to be working in both the systems. Looks like there has been some problem with the Shared add-in support in one of the machines. Anyways, I shall test it in a couple more systems and get back to you on the results. Still waiting for the hardware, so guess it'll take sometime before I update.

Thanks,

Ram

Ram
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Hello Ram,

Thanks for coming back. No problem, and I will wait for your reply here. Have a nice day.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:58 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I finally had my MS-Office plug-ins working on 64bit machines with 32 bit MS Office! I repaired the KB office2003-kb907417sfxcab-ENU to have it working.

Thanks

Ram
    Monday, January 10, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Hello again Ram,

Glad to know that you have worked around this issue. Also thanks very much for sharing the solution with us. It will probably help others facing the same issue in forums. Have a nice day.

Bessie Zhao [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:25 AM