Immersive Browser Disappears from Start menu?

Question

• Hello!

I've just noticed that the Immersive Internet Explorer has disappeared from my start menu - even if I search for "Internet Explorer" it runs the desktop version. Interestingly enough, when I search for, say, www.bing.com it shows one of the apps to search with as Internet Explorer. Then when I click that, it runs IE in immersive. But once I'm in the Immersive IE that way, I can't pin it to the start menu or pin any website to the start menu. It seems like the start menu has just forgotten it's there :/ Is there any way to fix this without doing a reset?

thanks,

Matthew

Friday, December 23, 2011 11:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• or maybe is there a way to 'reinstall' just the Metro IE browser?
    Friday, December 23, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Hello MAScodes,

I think there is only one Internet Explorer that can look different when run from metro tiles and when run from the so called desktop version. You may Search for Internet Explorer, right click it and click on the Pin icon that appears on the lower right side of the Screen.

Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, December 25, 2011 1:28 AM to complete the reply
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Hello MAScodes,

I think there is only one Internet Explorer that can look different when run from metro tiles and when run from the so called desktop version. You may Search for Internet Explorer, right click it and click on the Pin icon that appears on the lower right side of the Screen.

Irfan

Irfan,

When I search for "Internet Explorer", right-click, and pin the icon called "Internet Explorer" to my start menu, then run it from my start menu, it opens up the "desktop version" of Internet Explorer.

Monday, December 26, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Hello MAScodes,

I don't know of a way to reset the Metro Internet Explorer.
    I suggest you refresh your PC.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you see the desktop.

Let us know if this helps and get your Metro Internet Explorer working.

Marilyn
    Monday, December 26, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Irfan,

When I search for "Internet Explorer", right-click, and pin the icon called "Internet Explorer" to my start menu, then run it from my start menu, it opens up the "desktop version" of Internet Explorer.

Hi MAScodes,

my mistake, I should have known this would be the result.

Irfan
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Hey MAScodes,

Take a look at the answer provided by Scott Dart in the thread linked below to see a possible workaround:
    Metro UI Internet Explorer missing

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, January 2, 2012 10:17 PM