none
Email1AddressType and Email1Address displays different set of values for Active Directory Users/Non-Active directory Users.. Show garbled Contact name in Smart Phone RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Exchange Server 2010, Outlook 2010 Windows server 2008.

I am using OutlookSpy tool for outlook 2010.

Case 1-If I create a Contact in Outlook(let say CN1), that is user of active directory, and if i select email address that was in mentined in exchange (let say cn1@domain01.local).

The result in OutlookSpy for field Email1Address = /O=FIRST  ORGANIZATION/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=CN1.
    (Which should be CN@domain01.local)

Field Email1AddressType=EX

Case 2- If i create another contacts which is not in GAL(not in active directory, let say CN2 [CN2@hotmail.com]), it is showing..

Email1Address=CN@domain01.local

Email1AddressType=SMTP

Smart devices are using Email1Address as contact name, so user are getting garbled name for case -1. 

Is there any way to resolve the issue? or it is a behavior outlook/exchange?

-- Alok Tripathi

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:12 AM

Answers

• That is normal behavior.

The EX address when using Exchange is normal and is called an Exchange Distinguished Name (DN). In Outlook 2010 you can create a Recipient object using that EX address using the NameSpace.CreateRecipient() method, and get the SMTP address as follows:

Outlook.AddressEntry ae = recip.AddressEntry;
    Outlook.ExchangeUser eu = ae.GetExchangeUser();
    string smtpAddress = eu.PrimarySmtpAddress;

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Alok Tripathi" <=?utf-8?B?QWxvayBUcmlwYXRoaQ==?=> wrote in message news:7465baf6-c3f2-4c51-8b0f-168fb68352f6...

I am using Exchange Server 2010, Outlook 2010 Windows server 2008.

Case 1-If I create a Contact in Outlook(let say CN1), that is user of active directory, and if i select email address that was in mentined in exchange (let say cn1@domain01.local).

The result in OutlookSpy for field Email1Address = /O=FIRST  ORGANIZATION/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=CN1.

Case 2- If i create another contacts which is not in GAL(not in active directory, let say CN2 [CN2@hotmail.com]), it is showing..

Email1AddressType=SMTP

Smart devices are using Email1Address as contact name, so user are getting garbled name for case -1. 

-- Alok Tripathi

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, March 16, 2012 1:36 PM
  • You really don't want to try to change the value of Email1Address to an SMTP address if the type is supposed to be EX. You probably don't want to mess up the ability of the user to send emails to that person or to corrupt the contact records. In general there are synching programs that are available for smart phones that will work with the Exchange server at the server level that do handle EX addresses correctly.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Alok Tripathi" <=?utf-8?B?QWxvayBUcmlwYXRoaQ==?=> wrote in message news:cfeef319-bb12-4ce3-9d5e-365e0b4c5657...

Thanks Ken!

My problem is that few smartphone devices are using the value of EMail1Addres as 'ContactName'. So clients are not able to see proper contact name when the user exist in GAL.

I want to fix this, and found one workaround to update the value EMail1Address to regular smtp-mail whenever its EMail1AddressType=EX... 

does it seem any logic? does it has any further impact on outlook?

or any other workaround to sort out the problem. I am able to see the same behavior in Outlook 2007 as well. 

Thanks in advance..

-- Alok Tripathi

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, March 16, 2012 2:13 PM

All replies

• That is normal behavior.

The EX address when using Exchange is normal and is called an Exchange Distinguished Name (DN). In Outlook 2010 you can create a Recipient object using that EX address using the NameSpace.CreateRecipient() method, and get the SMTP address as follows:

Outlook.AddressEntry ae = recip.AddressEntry;
    Outlook.ExchangeUser eu = ae.GetExchangeUser();
    string smtpAddress = eu.PrimarySmtpAddress;

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Alok Tripathi" <=?utf-8?B?QWxvayBUcmlwYXRoaQ==?=> wrote in message news:7465baf6-c3f2-4c51-8b0f-168fb68352f6...

I am using Exchange Server 2010, Outlook 2010 Windows server 2008.

Email1AddressType=SMTP

-- Alok Tripathi

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, March 16, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Thanks Ken!

My problem is that few smartphone devices are using the value of EMail1Addres as 'ContactName'. So clients are not able to see proper contact name when the user exist in GAL.

I want to fix this, and found one workaround to update the value EMail1Address to regular smtp-mail whenever its EMail1AddressType=EX... 

or any other workaround to sort out the problem. I am able to see the same behavior in Outlook 2007 as well. 

Thanks in advance..

-- Alok Tripathi

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:08 PM
  • You really don't want to try to change the value of Email1Address to an SMTP address if the type is supposed to be EX. You probably don't want to mess up the ability of the user to send emails to that person or to corrupt the contact records. In general there are synching programs that are available for smart phones that will work with the Exchange server at the server level that do handle EX addresses correctly.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Alok Tripathi" <=?utf-8?B?QWxvayBUcmlwYXRoaQ==?=> wrote in message news:cfeef319-bb12-4ce3-9d5e-365e0b4c5657...

Thanks Ken!

Thanks in advance..

-- Alok Tripathi

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, March 16, 2012 2:13 PM