none
Upgrade SQL Server using MSDN downloaded software

Question

• We currently have SQL Server 2014 Enterprise edition installed on one of the servers that is owned by my team. We have the Enterprise license with software assurance and would now like to upgrade the server to 2016. 

To do so is it ok if I just download the SQL Server 2016 ISO from the downloads section via my MSDN subscription and install it (will license as such be retained) or is the licensed installable different and I have to go through our IT department? Not a big deal going via our IT dept but just curious if the installables are basically the same. 

Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi VivDev,

From what I can tell installation media won’t be an issue here as long as you entered the key of SQL Server 2016 enterprise during upgrade process. And yes the installation media is pretty much the same except for the pre-embedded product key.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:08 AM