none
Different name in Device Manager and Control Panel RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to have one name for my location sensor that is displayed in the device manager and a different name that is displayed in the Location and Other Sensors Control Panel. 

Currently the device description from my INF file is used in both locations.  I have tried setting several of the sensor properies (ie.  SENSOR_PROPERTY_FRIENDLY_NAME , SENSOR_PROPERTY_DESCRIPTION, etc.) but that is not making a difference.  Perhaps it would be helpful to learn which API call is used to determine which name to display in the Control Panel.

Thanks!
    jessica
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:11 PM

Answers

• Jessica,

Unfortunately, the names shown in device manager and the CPL are pulled from the same place, the device's friendly name property (DEVPKEY_Device_FriendlyName, from the SetupDi APIs).

If you don't want to set your device name in the INF (the default value used for this), you could write a co-installer that would set the friendly name of the device to something different at driver install time.  However, in all cases, Device Manager and the CPL should show the same thing.

Dan
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:26 PM