gif support RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any plans to support animated gifs in future Silverlight or WinRT?

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/11/us-word-of-the-year-2012/

The link above is to the Oxford dictionary 'word of the year 2012': gif.

My point being that the gif is alive and well and will not go away any time soon.

I have many customers who have huge libraries of gif files and don't feel the need to spend the time ( and money ) to rewrite them all.

I need to display several gifs inside the same canvas/grid/etc.

Yes there are better formats to do animations.

Heck I would even accept an MS utility that converts existing GIF files to a format that Silverlignt/WinRT does natively support.

And yes ImageTools is an exellent SDK package, but still requires coding by the developer to make use of it.

One thought I had was to create a "control" inside a Canvas ( WebBrowser? ) that in turn allow the host browser to do the image rendering ( since most browsers do render gifs)  or some similar call to the host browser.

BDM

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• My point being that the gif is alive and well and will not go away any time soon

Unfortunately, gif is a lot healthier than Silverlight.  I think that Silverlight could be described as alive and not well.

Are there any plans to support animated gifs in future Silverlight

Since it appears that there will be no future Silverlight versions then there is not going to be support added for anything.

Just my 2c.  I have no special insight.

Paul Linton

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:26 AM
  • Hi Boyd1,

I recommend you feedback to those two sites:

http://dotnet.uservoice.com/forums/4325-silverlight-feature-suggestions/

http://connect.microsoft.com/

In there, product team will check your requirement

Best Regards

Mark Yu - MSFT
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by iwpfModerator Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:31 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:41 AM
  • What product team?  I thought it was disbanded.
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Boyd1,

Depending on what you are doing and how you did it, I THINK .Net can convert it for you.  So, at worst, you could make a service that converts the gif to jpeg and use that on the client.  I have done that.  So my client asks for something like abc.gif.  And the service returns the converted jpeg.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Hi Boyd1, in Silverlight the only supported files are jpg and png. That's all :)

Best regards.

- Chris.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Christian,

As you probably know, those are the only supported formats ON THE CLIENT.  But the Server can still use .Net to convert a whole slew of formats into ones the client can consume as I mentioned in my previous post.  Just wanted to clear that up for the OP.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:48 PM
  • I just noticed that OP's question was about ANIMATED gifs.  I clued in on the gif part instead of the animated.  So I guess if you want animation, you would have to convert the gif to some sort of video instead.  I don't know if the SL png supports animation or not, but I doubt.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:21 PM
  • That is odd.  I KNOW I posted a message that included CODE for client and server to do that conversion.  Didn't I post it here?  When searching the forum, I don't see my code anywhere at all.

never mind...

I see my post over on the RemObjects forum.

• Edited by Mark Tiede Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:34 PM
  • I can externally convert my gifs to AVI files. 

Can Silverlight "play" avi files?

Does MediaElement have a role?

Any samples?

Boyd

BDM

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:04 PM