LS 2013 - Pre-Requisites install in offline mode? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to deploy a LS 2013 application to a server which has no internet access.

How do I install the Lightswitch 2013 pre-requisites when I cannot use the Web Platform Installer (WPI) as it requires internet access?

Friday, November 29, 2013 4:26 PM

Answers

• I don't think there are lightswitch  specific software prerequisites. 

You need under the assumption you run the database on a dedicated server , I IS activated and you need Web deploy (msdeploy). There is an installer available on the Microsoft site for Web deploy 3.

paul van bladel

Monday, December 2, 2013 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Tony,

First you will need .net framework 4.0, sql server 2008 express sp1 or higher + client conectivity. Publish your app as windows (desktop) application.

Here are some good articles about Deploying LightSwitch Applications.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff872288.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bethmassi/archive/2012/03/23/deploying-lightswitch-applications-to-iis6-amp-automating-deployment-packages.aspx

I see it mentioned there, you can Setup IIS6 on Windows 2003 Server without Web Platform Installer.

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 2, 2013 6:56 AM
  • I am installing a browser based app.

I have been doing this quite happily with Visual Studio 2010 Lightswitch.

I am now trying to deploy my first VS 2013 Lightswitch browser app to a server without internet access.

It seems incredibly difficult to get the correct instructions and standalone installers to allow this kind of installation to be done.

I have followed an article about creating an offline cache using the WebPICmd.exe but I get errors when trying to install using this method on the target server.

"

C:\WPI_OffLine>WebPICmd.exe /Install /Products:VSLS4NOSQL /XML:c:/WPI_OffLine/install/feeds/shadow-webproductlist.xml

The software that you obtain using the Web Platform Installer Command Line Tool is licensed to you by its owner.  Microsoft grants y
    ou no rights for third party software.
    Unexpected exception occurred
    ProductId Dev11DevenvSetupHelper not found."

Very Frustrating.

Monday, December 2, 2013 12:12 PM

You need under the assumption you run the database on a dedicated server , I IS activated and you need Web deploy (msdeploy). There is an installer available on the Microsoft site for Web deploy 3.

paul van bladel

Monday, December 2, 2013 12:32 PM

paul van bladel

Hi Paul,

I tried deploying a package for upgrading a VS2012 application already running, without installing the LightSwitch VS 2013 prerequisites and it didn't work. The new version is built with 2013. I'm getting the error:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.AppBridge' or one of its dependencies. Strong name signature could not be verified.  The assembly may have been tampered with, or it was delay signed but not fully signed with the correct private key. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131045)

The server does not have internet access. Do you know what needs to be installed?

Monday, December 2, 2013 2:41 PM

paul van bladel

Hi Paul,

I tried deploying a package for upgrading a VS2012 application already running, without installing the LightSwitch VS 2013 prerequisites and it didn't work. The new version is built with 2013. I'm getting the error:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.AppBridge' or one of its dependencies. Strong name signature could not be verified.  The assembly may have been tampered with, or it was delay signed but not fully signed with the correct private key. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131045)

The server does not have internet access. Do you know what needs to be installed?

After searching for the error it was clear that LightSwitch with Visual Studio 2013 needs NET Framework 4.5.1. Installing it offline solved the issue.
    Monday, December 2, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Sorry, indeed you need .Net 4.5 but there is an offline package available for that on the microsoft web site, which you found out already.

Also note that you need to need to uncheck during publish "IIS has LightSwitch runtime installed".

So, only msdeploy and .net 4.5 are necessary, but they are not really LightSwitch specific, you'll need them also for a .net web (mvc) web project.

paul van bladel

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 1:21 PM
  • So are you saying that for a VS2013 Lightswitch app I don't need to use the Web Platform Installer to install the 

'Lightswitch in Visual Studio 2013 - Server Configuration' either with or without local SQL Express.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 3:25 PM
  • No, what I'm saying is that you don't need to install anything lightswitch specific on the IIS server (apart from msdeploy and .net 4.5). I'm reasoning from the scenario where your database is on another server. A database server (running sql server doesn't need anything lightSwitch specific neither. I would never install IIS and sql server on the same server.

paul van bladel

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

Bit late but it might be useful for others searching. I've had the same issue.

You can use WPI in an offline mode. Basically download the required packages on a computer that has internet access, copy them to the server and install them. Below is a link that explains it a lot better.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/RFCWebPlatformInstallerWebPIWithAnOfflineFeedModeForBandwidthSavings.aspx

Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:25 PM