Solution Architecture Advice for Distributed Clients RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some general advice regarding work for a potential client.

This client is a controls systems salesman/developer who does work with large manufacturing companies.  He licenses and installs proprietary software at each manufacturer which acts as a hub that talks to the equipment and populates an on-site SQL database (all hardware software is housed locally and will need to remain that way).

This proprietary software has a basic Windows-based dashboard, but it does not have the web or mobile application component.  So manufacturing employees cannot easily monitor these dashboards on tablets/phones/etc as they move around the plant.

My client's idea is to write a web-based company which would be installed on their local servers and has a responsive UI that can be used on tablets/phones.  

I'm not 100% convinced that this is the best solution.  Mostly because if this software were installed across 50-100 manufacturers, it would be very difficult to update and patch because each installation is isolated and there would be no shared databases/servers across all of his customers.

Would there be a better way to approach this, to account for the fact that these are isolated systems?  Maybe a Windows-based mobile app that can be updated on-demand?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Friday, September 1, 2017 4:53 PM