none
[Solved]Booting WEC7 from iMX6 on phyFlex carrier board. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends,

I am trying to boot WEC7 binaries from iMX6 SOM which is mounted phyFlex carrier board. I have ebootnd.nbo and nk.bin files. 

first, I formated SDCard for FAT32 file system, then I copied these two files in it. Also, all necessary settings are done to boot from SDCard, but after connecting UART0, when I power-on board, then I get no boot log messages on console.

What could be the reason? 

Thank you.

Bhavesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:56 AM

Answers

• After eboot and NK are built successfully, open windows command prompt and navigate to the folder where cfimager is kept for eg:

cd C:\TOOL\

Then type the following command 

cfimager –f C:\WINCE700\OSDesigns\iMX6_MAGIK_2\RelDir\iMX6Q_MAGIK_2_BSP_ARMV7_Releasel\nk.nb0 –d <sd card reader drive letter without colon> -imx53 –a

cfimager –f

C:\WINCE700\OSDesigns\iMX6_MAGIK_2\RelDir\iMX6Q_MAGIK_2_BSP_ARMV7_Release\eboot.nb0 –d <sd card reader drive letter without colon> -imx53 

• The SD card will be flashed with bootloader and OS image and a FAT partition created for storing user files. 

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:47 AM

All replies

• I don't think you can boot the system by copying eboot.nb0 to FAT32 filesystem.

As it is imx6x processor, I think you need to flash the binaries (eboot.nb0 and NK.nb0) to raw partition of SD card using CFIMAGER tool (customized and delivered by freescale).

Get CFIMAGER.exe from freescale.

Use the following commands to flash the bootloader and the run-time image to SDCard:

- cfimager -f eboot.nb0 -d <sd card reader drive letter without colon> -imx53 -a
    - cfimager -f nk.nb0 -d <sd card reader drive letter without colon> -imx53 

Useful links:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3b310497-1f1d-4c83-945c-5592aefb29db/windows-embedded-ce-boot-problem-from-sd-card?forum=winembplatdev

Keshava G N Member - Technical (Software), iWave Systems, Bangalore <http://iwavesystems.com> mailto: keshavagn AT iwavesystems DOT com

• Edited by Keshava GN Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:43 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:41 AM

• After eboot and NK are built successfully, open windows command prompt and navigate to the folder where cfimager is kept for eg:

cd C:\TOOL\

Then type the following command 

cfimager –f C:\WINCE700\OSDesigns\iMX6_MAGIK_2\RelDir\iMX6Q_MAGIK_2_BSP_ARMV7_Releasel\nk.nb0 –d <sd card reader drive letter without colon> -imx53 –a

cfimager –f

C:\WINCE700\OSDesigns\iMX6_MAGIK_2\RelDir\iMX6Q_MAGIK_2_BSP_ARMV7_Release\eboot.nb0 –d <sd card reader drive letter without colon> -imx53 

• The SD card will be flashed with bootloader and OS image and a FAT partition created for storing user files. 

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:47 AM
  • Thank you KeshavaGN for your previous reply,

I had downloaded cfimager.exe and placed it in the same folder where I already have "NK.bin" and "eboot.nb0" images. Then, after cmd.exe I first routed to the directory containing cfimager.exe with nk.bin, eboot.nb0 and executed the above two commands provided by you, but after completion when I checked SDCard then I found it empty i.e ebootsd.nb0 was not present in it, also I again tried to boot using that SDCard but still no boot log messages displaying...

Also I have NK.bin file and not .nb0 file, so can I use the same command for .bin file.

Am I following the correct procedure??

Thank you.

Bhavesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:08 AM
  • Copy only eboot.nb0 this should at least boot and you should get the debug messages.

Make sure that you have flashed the images properly.

If you are creating ebootsd.nb0 may be you can try with this.

As this thing is specific you your BSP which you are using hence we can only suggest.

---  Misbah

Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

Use NK.nb0 file. Not NK.bin.

You can not see these files in file system, as these are flashed to raw partition.

Keshava G N Member - Technical (Software), iWave Systems, Bangalore <http://iwavesystems.com> mailto: keshavagn AT iwavesystems DOT com

• Edited by Keshava GN Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:19 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Also check whether files are flashed properly.

Make sure you have not encountered any error.

Check whether the disk name (SD card name) is proper.

Check boot switch settings.

Try with some other uSD card.

• Edited by Keshava GN Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:23 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:21 AM
  • Thank you Misbah for your reply,

I followed the procedure provided by you, but still after the operation is completed, when I open SDCard then I find it empty.. i.e eboot.nb0 is not flashing in SDCard...

Bhavesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:31 AM
  • You can not see these files in file system, as these are flashed to raw partition.

You can't make sure whether it's flashed or not by opening it.

Try booting...

Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:41 AM
  • Thank you KeshavaGN and Misbah for your help,

I am able to get boot log messages from eboot.nb0,  and using them I'll download NK.bin through ethernet.

Bhavesh.

Bhavesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:54 AM
  • What was the problem? And how did you solved it?

Also, mark a solution as answer.

• Edited by Keshava GN Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:30 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

the problem was in command that I was using previously. In that I was providing only "ebootsd.nb0":

cfimager -f eboot.nb0 -d <sd card reader drive letter without colon> -imx53 -a

later Mr. Misbah suggested for providing the full path of ebootnd.nb0 file. This worked, with this I was able to get boot menu with eboot, and using the same boot menu I downloaded NK.bin image through Ethernet.

Bhavesh

Bhavesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Confusing... 

cfimager -f eboot.nb0 -d <sd card reader drive letter without colon> -imx53 -a

should work if you copied correct eboot.nb0 in the same directory of CFIMAGER.

Anyway, good to know that issue is solved. :)

Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Really appreciate your help.. Thank you.. :)

Bhavesh

Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:41 PM