Strongly Typed Dataset Performance Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Since VB.NET 2002 and 2003 there's been some performance considerations that we have to think over in order to decide wether to use strongly typed or untyped datasets.

Now I'm trying VB 2005, and I've read some articles where people talk about the improvements (since this release) for strongly typed datasets. Now I wonder, are these improvements good enought? can I stop been worried about the memory cost (and so on) when I use strongly typed dataset? can someone give me some url where I can find especific information about it?

Thanks a lot

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 4:52 PM

Answers

• From a performance point of view, you should see improvements in .NET 2.0:

• Binary serialization is much better
    • It scales to a large number of rows
    • DataView maintainance is much faster

I'm not aware of any important changes in memory consumption.

Some of these improvements are described here:

What's new in ADO.NET

Binary Serialization of DataSets

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 8:44 PM

All replies

• I have not started with typed datasets yet, but I almost to the point where I can look at that.  (I have been struggling with security and compression up until now.) 

Datasets have always contained type information.  Column names and data types and other information.  If you serialize to XML, you will see all that. 

The difference now is that the type information is available at design-time.  This makes it easier to debug your application. 

My guess it that the application will grow slightly in size, but that the performance characterisics (memory usage, time to serialize/deserialize, etc.) should be nearly identical. 

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 6:50 PM
  • From a performance point of view, you should see improvements in .NET 2.0:

• Binary serialization is much better
    • It scales to a large number of rows
    • DataView maintainance is much faster

I'm not aware of any important changes in memory consumption.

Some of these improvements are described here:

What's new in ADO.NET

Binary Serialization of DataSets

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 8:44 PM
  • Thanks a lot guys, I'll particulary take a look to the serialization imporvements
    Thursday, March 9, 2006 8:47 PM