Database design tables RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Iam working on small application it requires database tables .I don't know how to design tables.I have  design and fields depending upon this I need to create  tables.

In design I have 3 tables

Table1:

projectname,type(efi,phase) radiobuttonlist,startdate enddate,empname

Table2:

efi type is radiobuttonlist field .If I click on efi  it shows 15 rows and 5  columns (Textboxes,dropdownn...).

table 3:

If I click on phase it shows 10rows and 5  columns (Textboxes,dropdownn...)

columns(milestones(labels),StartDate,EndDate,walktesttatus,statuscomments,general comments)  in both types(efi  ,phase).In milstones columns there are different fields  for each type.

Do I need to create EFI Table and Phase table separately ?

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:35 PM

Answers

• One thing that i can share is that, we do not create a database base on the application need rather it is created base on the business requirement and knowing how the business function works. Therefore it will be easier for us to give you a hint on how to design if we understand what you actually need. I don't think we need to understand the application functionality which you described.  

Regards, RSingh

• Marked as answer by emaak Monday, April 14, 2014 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:49 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• One thing that i can share is that, we do not create a database base on the application need rather it is created base on the business requirement and knowing how the business function works. Therefore it will be easier for us to give you a hint on how to design if we understand what you actually need. I don't think we need to understand the application functionality which you described.  

Regards, RSingh

• Marked as answer by emaak Monday, April 14, 2014 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:49 PM
    Answerer
  • As noted above, share more details with us like what is "efi".

Typical project table design:

CREATE TABLE Project(
    ProjectID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,
    TypeID INT REFERENCES ProjectType NOT NULL,
    Code varchar(12) NOT NULL UNIQUE,
    Name nvarchar(255) NULL UNIQUE,
    ModifiedDate datetime default (CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) NOT NULL);

TypeID is a FOREIGN KEY to the ProjectType table.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect Free T-SQL Scripts
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:00 PM
  • This application is about scheduling tasks,I have EFI and Phase   types.I don't have any other business reuirement.In req I have to  add these two types (Now  I added  these  two types in design ) now  I don't  know   for insert    do I need to create separate tables for each type ?

EFI (Employees work on below things  for EFI  they schedule  dates for each one  )

-sitesurvey

-ibwavedesign

-pricequote

-purchase order

-part procurement ....

Phase(Emp Works on below things)

Request

PriceQuote

Purchase order

gatherfiles

schedule test...

• Edited by emaak Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:42 PM