Runtime WF from XAML RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am very new to this product so forgive me if this is a daft question.

I am looking to create wf activities at runtime by reading in XAML from a source (be it a DB or flatfile, not sure yet). Firstly, in terms of overall performance is this a wise idea, the choice is being made on the level of flexibility this would supply to us but flexibility needs to be balanced with performance ultimately I guess.

On that subject, do I need to manage pooling of these workflows that I would create on the fly from the xaml? does the runtime cache automatically so it doesnt create activities when it may perhaps not need to?

thanks

Paul

Friday, January 28, 2011 6:19 AM

Answers

• I think the main issue question is 'how do I host a lot of different workflow definitions', and secondly what is the performance?

I assume you are doing hosting of some kind of network service, so I would first suggest you might perhaps benefit from some learning about Windows Server AppFabric, which is one solution for hosting workflows from e.g. XAML in IIS. I'm not too sure what the performance characteristics of this would be, but you could probably ask on the AppFabric forum - and I think it would help if you were clear about whether you need to load a lot of different workflow XAMLs or you just expect the same workflows to be hit over and over again. 

If that looks like it isn't going to have good perf, a fall-back possibility is creating your own workflow hosting logic, as in that case you can take full control of the XAML loading, and do your own smart cacheing workflow definitions (which should be designed to be reusable between workflow instances).

Tim

• Proposed as answer by Andrew_Zhu Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:52 AM
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:28 AM