What software or application does this forum use? RRS feed

• Question

• I like the design of this forum.  Discussions are easy to follow and the overall design is easy on the eyes.  Wouldn't it be nice if Expression Web created this forum?  I don't think so, but please tell me I'm wrong!

Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:43 PM

Answers

• View the source: this is an asp.net / AJAX application.  EW would be the wrong tool to use for coding a serious team-written application in asp.net.  Did they use Visual Studio?  Don't know.

Regardless, how a forum looks and behaves is not a function of the tool you use.  It's a function of the skill of the designers.

• Marked as answer by bofhlusr Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:57 PM
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:54 PM
  • This forum wasn't created in EW. EW doesn't have the capability to do that. It can create the page that holds the forum code, but that's about it. You'd need to create the forum basics in another program (or use one of the many pre-made forums available).

Building a forum application is hugely complicated and complex (database, threading, security, etc.). I agree that discussions are easy to follow and it is attractive, but parts of this forum software (homegrown by MS) suck eggs, especially the search function, and at various times the login/logout and editing. And the inefficient use of screen real estate is a little bothersome (but the white space lends to the attractiveness). It's much better than it was, but other forums have done some features better.

A Wisconsin parable:
    A Billionair­e CEO, a tea partier and a union worker are sitting around a table with a dozen cookies on a plate. The CEO grabs 11 cookies for himself and then tells the tea partier that the union member is after some of "his" cookie.
    Would you like some Koch with that cookie?
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:58 PM

All replies

• The design might be nice but this forum is horrible IMHO
    If it was created by EW I hope MSFT never admits it.

Expression Web MVP
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:06 PM
  • View the source: this is an asp.net / AJAX application.  EW would be the wrong tool to use for coding a serious team-written application in asp.net.  Did they use Visual Studio?  Don't know.

Regardless, how a forum looks and behaves is not a function of the tool you use.  It's a function of the skill of the designers.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:54 PM
  • This forum wasn't created in EW. EW doesn't have the capability to do that. It can create the page that holds the forum code, but that's about it. You'd need to create the forum basics in another program (or use one of the many pre-made forums available).

Building a forum application is hugely complicated and complex (database, threading, security, etc.). I agree that discussions are easy to follow and it is attractive, but parts of this forum software (homegrown by MS) suck eggs, especially the search function, and at various times the login/logout and editing. And the inefficient use of screen real estate is a little bothersome (but the white space lends to the attractiveness). It's much better than it was, but other forums have done some features better.

A Wisconsin parable:
    A Billionair­e CEO, a tea partier and a union worker are sitting around a table with a dozen cookies on a plate. The CEO grabs 11 cookies for himself and then tells the tea partier that the union member is after some of "his" cookie.
    Would you like some Koch with that cookie?
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:58 PM
  • My opinion is based purely on first impressions.  Superficial.  So as long as I don't dig too deep, I think I'll continue to like it.  Hopefully, I won't need to.   "Ignorance is bliss",  yes? 

Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Yes.

There are other forum designs that are much more user friendly than this one.

Expression Web MVP
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:26 AM
  • According to a discussion I had with one of the Microsoft Developer Evangelist this forum is losely based on Community Server customized to Microsoft specifications. It must be very heavily customized since I've used Talligent's Community Server and it is a better forum than this one.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:30 AM
  • FWIW, I discovered a few weeks ago that most of the issues I was having with the forum, difficulty posting, posts not opening etc, were in some way connected with IE8. Having started using the forum on Chrome, these issues have gone away. The only downside is that the forum doesn't auto-refresh.

It will be interesting to see how it performs with IE9.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:22 PM