none
Cannot receive mail alert from BAM

Question

• Hi,

I created a view on BAM portal, success to receive the alert message when set subscription for local file, but cannot receive the mail by mail address. Any other steps I need to configure mail?

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Lillian,

After you have configured the SQL Database mail and BAM alert in configuration wizard. Did you check whether the mail account used by BizTalk can send BAM alerts. Follow the steps as mentioned here to do the same.

Validate Mail account used by BizTalk to send BAM Alerts

If you have not received an email for "Send Test E-mail", then you have not configured SQL database mail property.

I would suggest to solve this issue. Following the configuration steps as mentioned here. These references shall help you:

Configure SQL Server Database Mail feature

MSDN: Configure Database Mail

Also if you configure BizTalk 2013 BAM Alerts service to run with a non-SQL admin user(not SysAdmin) with SQL 2012 DB Mail functionality to send alerts mails, you may notice the email alerts function does not work but file alerts are working well. Refer for solution: BizTalk 2013 cannot send BAM Email Alerts when using SQL 2012 Database Mail

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Thanks Rachit.

“Send Test E-mail”  fail to receive a mail, I find all messages are in the mailroot\Queue folder, does that mean it's the SMTP configuration issue? How should I configure SMTP?

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:05 PM
  • yes its your SMTP config issue. Try to test only SMTP part out side of BAM and see. 

Ram

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Thanks Rachit.

“Send Test E-mail”  fail to receive a mail, I find all messages are in the mailroot\Queue folder, does that mean it's the SMTP configuration issue? How should I configure SMTP?

While configuring BAM Alerts you must have configured SQL Server Database Mail feature by providing SMTP server.

Refer: Configure SQL Server Database Mail feature In case of external SMTP.

If you wish to install the local SMTP Server then refer: https://sandroaspbiztalkblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/biztalk-2013-installation-and-configuration-install-and-configure-smtp-server-feature-part-4/

Also as mentioned above  if you have configured BizTalk 2013 BAM Alerts service to run with a non-SQL admin user(not SysAdmin) with SQL 2012 DB Mail functionality to send alerts mails, you may notice the email alerts function does not work but file alerts are working well. Refer for solution: BizTalk 2013 cannot send BAM Email Alerts when using SQL 2012 Database Mail

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:02 PM
  • I've updated the SMTP configuration to ensure that the test mail work well via SQL. And I have set the BAMAlert's account to "DatabaseMailUserRole" role. But back to BAM Alert, data still go to the bam_Metadata_Distribution_FailedItems table.

After use "bm.exe get-config –filename:config.xml", I find BAM@micresoft.com is configured in the AlertMailFrom, but seems I don't have permission to update this configuration file. How can I update this account?

Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:31 AM
  • I've updated the SMTP configuration to ensure that the test mail work well via SQL. And I have set the BAMAlert's account to "DatabaseMailUserRole" role. But back to BAM Alert, data still go to the bam_Metadata_Distribution_FailedItems table.

After use "bm.exe get-config –filename:config.xml", I find BAM@micresoft.com is configured in the AlertMailFrom, but seems I don't have permission to update this configuration file. How can I update this account?

You should update your machine with latest cumulative update. Refer: Service Pack and cumulative update list for BizTalk Server

Regarding updating AlertMailFrom property, You can update this value using SQL Query:

UPDATE dbo.bam_Metadata_Properties 
    SET PropertyValue = 'Your email address' 
    WHERE (Scope = 'Alert' AND PropertyName = 'AlertMailFrom')

After that restart the BAMAlerts service, from address will be changed.

Refer: http://payalaryabhandari.blogspot.in/2016/10/bam-alert-email-from-address.html

Friday, November 25, 2016 4:12 AM
  • I updated the mail address in dbo.bam_Metadata_Properties table, and installed the cumulative update 1 for BizTalk Server, however, still cannot send mail by Alert successfully. Is there any way to see error log to track detail information or any other ideas?:(
    Sunday, November 27, 2016 4:06 PM
  • I updated the mail address in dbo.bam_Metadata_Properties table, and installed the cumulative update 1 for BizTalk Server, however, still cannot send mail by Alert successfully. Is there any way to see error log to track detail information or any other ideas?:(

You have all the troubleshooting steps covered here. You need tor revisit all and try to find the root cause of the problem.

You can also reach out to Microsoft support if nothing helps.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:07 PM