DVD drive disappears after installing Win8 (both 32 and 64)

Question

• I installed Windows 8 (32-bit) with the DVD drive in question, and everything was fine for a little while, then for no obvious reason, it no longer exists in the Device Manager or in the list of drives.  I tried the Microsoft Fix-It online, but it doesn't recognize Win 8.  I tried the steps provided to fix the registry manually, but still no luck, since there is no "upperfilter" or "lowerfilter" displayed in the right side pane.  I even swapped out DVD drives, to no avail.  I decided I would then format the drive and install the 64-bit version, which installed just fine using the same DVD drive, and then the same thing happened again!  The DVD drive just vanished.  If I had to guess, I would think there is an update from Windows Update that is causing this to happen, just haven't figured out which one yet.

A little background on the PC - I am using a PATA IDE DVD-RW/DL, a PATA IDE HDD, ASROCK 4CORE DUAL motherboard with Intel Quad 6600 (2.4GHz) processor, 4GB RAM, Soundblaster Fatality Gamer PCI soundcard, ATI HD 5670 PCI-E graphics.  All components work just fine under Windows 7 and Vista.

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Go to control panel and then advance and then refresh your PC. If you installed anything before this problem, try uninstall it and see if the issue will reproduce or not.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Hi user4856,

just a hunch, try updating your BIOS, please follow precautions given on site. And get all your Windows updates.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Monday, February 20, 2012 1:32 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 1:29 PM
  • configure the IDE DVD Drive als master and the HDD as slave. Windows 8 doesn't like IDE DVD drives which are configured as slave.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:49 PM
  • configure the IDE DVD Drive als master and the HDD as slave. Windows 8 doesn't like IDE DVD drives which are configured as slave.

Hi Andre.Ziegler,

please send me a link on how to do this.

Irfan

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:55 PM
  • change the jumper on the HDD / DVD drive:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/177

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Thank you, if in 5 years, I'm even half as good as you are, I shall consider myself to be lucky.

Irfan

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:31 PM
  • @Cyber, thanks,

That unfortunately does not work, since to refresh the PC it requires access to the DVD (drive) for files in order to "refresh".  That is the problem with my drive being removed by Windows 8 (remember, this is the same DVD drive that was used to install Win 8 to begin with).  I did try using System Restore.  I tried saving different restore points before the symptom occured again (after the 3rd time of re-installing on a freshley-wiped hard drive), and even when I would go back to those earlier restore points, still no DVD drive.  I tried even connecting an external USB DVD drive and still no favorable results.  I did see the external drive in the Device Manager, but it was unusuable when I tried to open up a disc.  I may try to install using the USB drive.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:36 PM
  • @ Irfan, thanks,

The BIOS is the latest and greatest from ASROCK Corp. And I do (did) get all my windows updates, and it is usually after the updates that I notice my DVD drive disappears.  Now I did try some BIOS changes, such as changing the IDE strength from Normal to High, then even to Ultra High, but no luck.  Once again, this computer runs fine with all other OS, to include Vista and 7 Premium, so it is obvious that the issue is in Win 8.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:39 PM
  • @ Andre,

I think I have already tried all the different configurations, to include Cable Select, switching from MA to SL between the two (the Seagate HDD has two settings for MA, one with and one without a SL connected), and even installing the devices onto separate IDE channels, but I will try once more just to make certain before I throw in the towel, thanks.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Hi User4856,

while you are still in the WDP boot manager, click on Choose defaults or choose other options, choose other options, Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Automatic Repair, put in your password when asked for it, proceed with the automatic repairs. Lets hope it helps.

Next, press and hold Shift+F10 buttons, and select the various repair options given, including Safe Mode, System Restore, Last known good configuration etc ( I'm forgetting the various options)

Boot from the installation Media, USB in your case. In the installation box that opens, select the Repair options, instead of the Install Windows. Please make a boot USB using your ISO with the help of Windows USB/DVD Download Tool. 

Please try one or more of these and see if it helps.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:02 PM correction
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I had the issue myself. Configure the HDD als slave an the DVD Burner as Master. This works.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:47 PM