Cascading drop down RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to create a cascading lookups in SharePoint 2010. I've used this guide - http://msdnvietnam.net/blogs/quang/archive/2010/03/30/cascading-drop-down-list-in-sharepoint-2010-using-infopath-2010.aspx.

It works very good with data from 2 or more lists but I need to create this with data only from one list(from 2 different columsn) - this scenario doesn't work for me.

Example:

1 field - dropdown with data from 1st column,

2 field - dropdown with data from 2nd column filtered by data from 1st field,

3 field - dropdown with data from 3rd column filtered by data from 1st field.

Does anyone have a solution for this scenario.

Regards,

Marcin

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Guys,

I've found the solution:)

All guides based on lookup fields and it was a problem - after I changed them to text fields all works fine.

Regards,

Marcin

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Sunday, November 7, 2010 5:22 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Do you mind clarifying so that other people who have the same problem won't be left confused when seeing your last post?

Since I think I'm familiar to that which you're alluding, I'm going to guess that you were using other articles/guides that were all based on using lookup columns to other lists, and for some reason that wasn't working for you?  Are you saying you were making lookup fields back to the same list and trying to do cascading dropdowns?  Why did you have to change anything to a text field?  Weren't the fields already text fields.  They have to exist first before making a lookup field that points to them.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 12:48 PM

All replies

• No more advertising.  Answer the question.

• Edited by Clayton Cobb Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:46 AM Removed continual advertising...
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:58 AM
  • Hi, Marcin

If all reference fields were in the same form, would you please consider using script as another option?

See some solutions with JQuery:

http://dotnetcampania.org/blogs/fabio/archive/2010/07/21/sharepoint-and-jquery-cascading-dropdowns.aspx

http://www.sharepointkings.com/2010/09/sharepoint-cascading-drop-downs-using.html

In this approach, the cascading selections were retrieved by web service call, so it could be implemented with self-list fields.

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

Aaron

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:38 AM
  • Aaron, he should not need to resort to scriping to replace OOTB functionality.  I think it's best to get it working with built-in functionality before adding any code or script.  I'm curious why you went to jQuery and web services to replace OOTB ability - please let me know if there is an advantage to doing it that way.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:48 AM
  • What actually isn't working?  It should work fine - there is no requirement or need to have the dropdowns fed from different lists.  It works perfectly well with different columns from the same list, which is why I need to know what you mean by "this scenario doesn't work for me."  Well, why not?  We can't help without you telling us why.  =D
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Hi,Clayton

Thank you very much for your reminder!

Actually I also noticed that the customer mentioned the “built-in” did not work for him, so I suggested script approach.

Thanks again for your suggestion and follow up.

Best Regards,

-Aaron

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 3:02 AM
  • It may not have worked for him, but it actually can and should work.  I think we need to first find out what people are doing and how they are doing it so that we can resolve their mistakes before suggesting customized solutions.  I think it's important for us all to do this so that we don't miss the opportunity to keep as much as possible OOTB - it's best for the people asking questions and all those who find this information when searching online.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 3:15 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I've found the solution:)

All guides based on lookup fields and it was a problem - after I changed them to text fields all works fine.

Regards,

Marcin

Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Do you mind clarifying so that other people who have the same problem won't be left confused when seeing your last post?

Since I think I'm familiar to that which you're alluding, I'm going to guess that you were using other articles/guides that were all based on using lookup columns to other lists, and for some reason that wasn't working for you?  Are you saying you were making lookup fields back to the same list and trying to do cascading dropdowns?  Why did you have to change anything to a text field?  Weren't the fields already text fields.  They have to exist first before making a lookup field that points to them.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hi Clayton,

Even i have the same problem...

I am struggling from 2 days in solving this requirement

I have only the following list as master Lookup , no other list except below list.

when i select the customer name all the dropdowns have to be pouplated with their respective values of customer as shown in the above list.

How can i implement this?
    Can this be possible to implement cascading dropdowns, if not please provide the other  solution to do this?

I am using sharepoint 2010.

Thanks in Advance

Vikram

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Hi Marcin

I found more easiest way for fixing this issue.

Please follow this syntax for implementing cascading dropdowns from a single list

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="</script">~/jquery-1.6.2.min.js"> </script>

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="~</script">/jquery.SPServices-0.6.2.min.js"></script>

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
        $(document).ready(function () {

$().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({
                relationshipList: "ClientsList",
                relationshipListParentColumn: "CustomerName",
                relationshipListChildColumn: "Region",
                parentColumn: "CustomerName",
                childColumn: "Region",
                debug: true
            });

$().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({
                relationshipList: "ClientsList",