none
Problem with status report -chart colours changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have a tricky pie chart problem to solve but have not been able to figure out how. Have a pie chart report indicating the status of each department with percentage and colors, where green is finished tasks, yellow, on schedulde tasks, orange is late tasks and blue is coming tasks, this is to make it easy to see the status directly. The problem is that the predefined colors change randomly whenever the report is viewed. Such as the blue piece for coming task becomes grey instead of blue.

Have so far been unable to solve this problem. And have to manually change the colors again. 

If there is no setting that can be made to keep the colors, could it then be possible to make a VBA code to ensure that the colors are kept?

Kind regards //Anders

Friday, August 22, 2014 12:41 PM

All replies

• Anders,

I assume you are using Project 2013 since I believe that's where the pie chart graphic functionality was added. Do you have SP1 installed? You might also want to check cumulative updates for Project 2913 to see if any address this issue. You can get all this information at, http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn789213(v=office.14)

Hope this helps.

John

• Proposed as answer by Julie SheetsModerator Monday, August 25, 2014 9:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by AT_lamnea Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by AT_lamnea Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:57 AM
    Friday, August 22, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Hi John and thank you very much for your prompt response. Have already tried to install SP 1but have been unsuccesful doing so. It just keeps telling that there is no Product available on the computer that the update can be applied on.

Have version 15.0.4551.1507 MSO (15.0.4551.1508) 32 bit.

What can be done to get the SP 1 one up running? Also have problems that Project crashes rather frequently when working in the team planner view (Which by the way is an excellent tool).

Any input woul be higlhy appreciated!

Kind regards //Anders

Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:14 PM
  • By the way Project standard 2013 was installed first and then uninstalled pror to installing Professional, if that could have something to do with it.

Kind regards //Anders

Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Anders,

It may be possible that buying a current license for Project 2013 Standard or Pro comes with SP1 already applied, however your version number does not indicate that to be the case (SP1 should appear in front of "MSO").

Do you actually have a stand alone installation or are you perhaps using Project on-line? Are you sure you downloaded SP1 for Project 2013?

John

Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:06 PM
  • John,

Just downloaded the software and then purchased product keys, first for standard, but when it not turned out to include the teamplanner we went for professional instead. As you say the version number does not correspond to be SP 1. Perhaps it would be an idea to remove the Project installation and reinstall it again and then try to apply the update.

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, August 25, 2014 5:46 AM
  • John,

Brilliant!

Seems to have been able to update Project to a version that works better, have not been able to recreacte the problem with the pie chart so far, also the Team planner runs a lot better without crashing.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance, appreciated!

Kind regards //Anders

Monday, August 25, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Anders,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If this answered your question, please mark my response as the answer.

John

Monday, August 25, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Sure John, consider it done!

The update also made some great improvements in regards to stability, working in the team planner does not make Project crash.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:36 AM
  • John,

Did mark it as the answer, but right after the problem occured again. the colors Changes again, from blue to grey. Still the SP 1 runs a lot better but it did not solve the problem with the pie chart. Sorry.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:59 AM
  • Anders,

Okay. I don't have Project 2013 so I can't test this. I'll ask someone who has Project 2013 to jump in and see if we can either confirm a bug or find a solution.

John

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Thanks John,

Ok then you should get 2013, must say it is just great.

Hope that someone can look into the problem.

Anders

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Does anyone know if the colors in a Chart in Project custommreports can be programmed using VBA?

Kind regards //Anders

Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:58 PM
  • Trying to get this thread answered as there might very well be a bug in Project 2013. Including the original question again now with images to explain

Have a tricky pie chart problem to solve but have not been able to figure out how. Have a pie chart report indicating the status of each department with percentage and colors, where green is finished tasks, yellow, on schedulde tasks, orange is late tasks and blue is coming tasks, this is to make it easy to see the status directly. The problem is that the predefined colors change randomly whenever the report is viewed. Such as the blue piece for coming task becomes grey instead of blue.

Have so far been unable to solve this problem. And have to manually change the colors again. 

If there is no setting that can be made to keep the colors, could it then be possible to make a VBA code to ensure that the colors are kept?

Kind regards //Anders

Correct colours             Colours has changed
    First time                     Second time

Want the 33% to stay blue instead of becoming grey, automatically. Any ideas?

Friday, November 14, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Here are the images:

Correct colours             Colours has changed
    First time                     Second time

Want the 33% to stay blue instead of becoming grey, automatically. Any ideas?

Friday, November 14, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

Are these reports generated inside Project 2013 or with other tools such as Reporting Services?

Also, where are your departments saved? Custom fields or Resource Departments?

Paul

Friday, November 14, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Hi Paul!

They are generated inside Project 2013.

Each department is a resource. And there is one pie chart per department. Have in total 6 pie charts which indicates the status at each department. (There are 6 deparments) The main intention is to visualize the percentage of late tasks, (and in addition also finished, on schedule and upcoming tasks can be read from the pie chart). The portion with late tasks has been moved out a small bit from the centre of the pie chart to make it even more clear. However it keeps changing colours all the time so it is still unclear which part that indicates the number of late tasks.

Kind regards //Anders

Friday, November 14, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Hi Anders,

I ran some test and the colours stay put every time when I open the report, even though the data changes

How are your charts built? Maybe if I can follow same steps I can replicate the issue

Also, I know there was an issue in Reporting Services when a string was used for aggregation (e.g. count(TaskName)) and the chart colours where not displayed correctly and maybe something similar happens here. Maybe the chart can be changed to display an aggregated numeric custom field having 1 as value for all tasks.

Paul

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:04 AM
  • They are built as per below images. Not very much inputdata, just sorting all tasks of the same type and then showing the work of them, grouping the status. (Hope this was the info you were after)

Also thougt that the problem was solved after installing SP 1 as it seemed to be solved for a while, but the problem occured again and now it changes frequently.

Kind regards //Anders

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Have noticed that the filling of the parts switches back from having been set to "Completely filled" to instead be "Automatic." That is why the colours Changes. Seems to be a bug. Does anyone know how to report it to MS?

Kind regards //Anders

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:11 AM