Trouble with std::map insertion

Question

• I have a problem where I call map::insert with apparently good data, and it infrequently (depending on your viewpoint) fails.  I was noticing that on occasion, a random sound in my app would not play, and tracked it down by adding the hack code below and placing a breakpoint when the second "insert" was called.

The data is good, the sound is there... but sometimes the SoundMap.insert just doesn't add a sound (different one each time).  As you can see, the hack spins until the insert actually works.  What the heck could be causing this?

map<wstring, unique_ptr<AudioContent>> SoundMap; SoundMap.insert(pair<wstring,unique_ptr<AudioContent>>(audioContent->Name, unique_ptr<AudioContent>(audioContent)));

// This hack added in for now. Tests if the sound above // can be found in the SoundMap, and loops until it is // actually inserted. bool worked = false; while(!worked) { AudioContent* addedContent = GetSoundByName(soundName); if(addedContent == nullptr) { SoundMap.insert(pair<wstring,unique_ptr<AudioContent>>(audioContent->Name, unique_ptr<AudioContent>(audioContent))); } else worked = true; }

Thanks

Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:00 AM

Answers