Get Daily change rate (%) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I´m using the ASR capacity planner for a ASR proyect i have. the field Daily change rate (%) is quite tricky to get. I read the doc https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/site-recovery-capacity-planner and found 2 tools for doing that. tha one for WMWare works for me, but the one for Hyper-V works only for Windows 2012 and my enviroment is 2008 and 2008 R2.

is there a tool for windows 2008 i can use or does anybody know an alternative to get the values I need for that particular field of the ASR Capacity Planning tool?

Thank you in advance.

Friday, January 27, 2017 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You run the tool on a Hyper-V server or cluster node in your primary site. To run the tool the Hyper-V host servers needs:

Operating system: Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2

Memory: 20 MB (minimum)

CPU: 5 percent overhead (minimum)

Disk space: 5 MB (minimum)

For more information, on Capacity planner.  Click here

You can monitor “\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Bytes/Write” perf counter using perfmon (or any other tools) for a few days (it depends on your application requirements) to get the approximate data change rate.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:02 PM
  • You can monitor “\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Bytes/Write” perf counter using perfmon (or any other tools) for a few days (it depends on your application requirements) to get the approximate data change rate.

Thanks,

Sujay

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have a doubt related a to the filed "Number of disks attached" of the ASR Capacity Planner Tool.

I have 2 scenarios.

1.- 10 physical servers attached to an EVA with 12 disks and each server has 2 to 4 logical disks.

what should be my number here?

2.- Virtual Machines. I have 2 to 4 virtual disks.

Should those be my numbers?

Thanks

Friday, January 20, 2017 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

It should be based on the number of logical disks visible to the OS.

We can calculate based on Azure Site Recovery Capacity Planner . Planner will ask for the number of disks - this is the number of logical disks visible within the OS; a physical server might have 3 physical disks configured in a hardware raid 5, with the OS just seeing 1 logical disk - so the planner would be configured as 1 disk.

For more information; Refer here

I hope that the reply will assist you in getting your query addressed. In case you require further assistance, please do reply to the thread as we are always available to your queries.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Saturday, January 21, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Thank you so much SumanthBM, one more question i have is about the Nics.

Are the number of nics i have to put the total number of nics whether they are connected or not? or just the ones they are pluged in?

Once again thanks a lot!

Monday, January 23, 2017 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

Individual disk capacity on protected machines shouldn’t be more than 1023 GB. A VM can have up to 64 disks (thus up to 64 TB).

Shared disk guest clusters aren't supported.

If the source VM has NIC teaming it’s converted to a single NIC after failover to Azure.

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)/Extensible Firmware Interface(EFI) boot isn't supported. If the source VM has NIC teaming it’s converted to a single NIC after failover to Azure.

Protecting Hyper-V VMs running Linux with a static IP address isn't supported.

I hope that the reply will assist you in getting your query addressed. In case you require further assistance, please do reply to the thread as we are always available to your queries.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:20 PM
  • Ok,

So what I understand is that are NIcs that are actually connected and transmiting en case of physical server for instance right? any other Nics that are there as part of the server but not connected I should not worry about counting them en the capacity planner.

One more thing I just came across is the tool to get the Daily change rate (%). The tool i am address to is this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39057

but it only works on Windows 2012 as specified. do we have an option for windows 2008 server enviroment?

Once againg thaks alot.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Hi, only 2008R2 is supported, please refer to following support matrix

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/site-recovery-support-matrix

Cheers Christophe Kindly click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread and Vote as Helpful Azure Fanatic! www.cloudcrusader.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:27 PM
  • Unfortunatelly I cant find the tool for 2008 R2 to get de data I need. Do you have an altenative to get the Daily change rate (%) on a 2008 r2 hyper-v enviroment?

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

Azure Site Recovery for HYPER-V replica is available only from 2012 onwards. Are your referring to 2012 as a Guest OS or 2012 as a host OS?

Can you let us know the need for finding out change rate on VMs running on 2008 HYPER-V hosts? We could guide you with the right approach.

Thanks,

Sujay

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:26 PM
  • We are doing panning to protect 32 servers to azure ASR.

We have to find out every cost involved for storage, data transfer and VM equivalent en Azure to the servers we have. need to find out bandwith required for initial and delta replica batches all of this to be certaint about how much total a month is going to cost.  that is why we are using the ASR Capacity planner tool. and in one of the fields it ask for the Daily change rate (%). We have HOST and GUEST OS windows 2008. and need to get that info from them.

Thank you very much.

Friday, January 27, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Is this for "VMware to Azure" (or) "Physical to Azure" (or) "HYPER-V to Azure" scenario?

Thanks,

Sujay

Monday, January 30, 2017 4:56 PM
  • I have the Three of them, but I have the tool for VWWare. Need the tool for the hyper-v host and guest 2008 or an altenartive.
    Monday, January 30, 2017 5:28 PM
  • So, anyone? I still stuck on this.
    Monday, January 30, 2017 5:31 PM
  • Hello,

You run the tool on a Hyper-V server or cluster node in your primary site. To run the tool the Hyper-V host servers needs:

Operating system: Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2

Memory: 20 MB (minimum)

CPU: 5 percent overhead (minimum)

Disk space: 5 MB (minimum)

For more information, on Capacity planner.  Click here

You can monitor “\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Bytes/Write” perf counter using perfmon (or any other tools) for a few days (it depends on your application requirements) to get the approximate data change rate.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:02 PM
  • You can monitor “\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Bytes/Write” perf counter using perfmon (or any other tools) for a few days (it depends on your application requirements) to get the approximate data change rate.

Thanks,

Sujay

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:11 PM