none
How to Install Microsoft Word Add-in in Windows Svr 2008 R2 64bit with Word 2010 32 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I developed Microsoft Word Add-In for 32 bit systems which is working fine. Now i want to install the same on Win Svr 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit with 32 bit Microsoft Word installed. What changes do i need to do in my project and installer.

Desired Target: Win Svr 2008 R2 64 bit with Word 2010 32 bit

Working/Development/Testing PC: Win 7 32 bit with Word 2010 32 bit

Tried Steps

Changed project and installer target to x64

When i give target location in Application folder [ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\Office14\ADDINS\ the Add-In automatically installs in C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Office14\ADDINS\ and registry is also updated as required but when word is started it tries to load Add-In in location C:\ProgramFiles\Office14\ADDINS\ whereas files are placed in x86 ProgramFiles because word too is 32 bit.

note: Setup of server (Win08r2 64 bit with 2010 Word 32 bit) cannot be changed as it is running in production.

please guide how do i solve the issue.

Friday, December 26, 2014 11:47 AM

Answers

• In the InstallShield MSI (assuming that you are using it) did you mark the specific components as 64-bit? That's what determines in what Program Files directory the MSI will place them.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:21 PM
  • I rebuilt the solution in .Net 3.5 and somehow it solved the problem on the clients.

For second query As Microsoft Word 32 bit is installed on Win Server 08 r2 64Bit so i needed a target code for 32 bit which worked. 64 bit solution was not required as quoted by Eugene Astafiev

earlier. Thanks for your support.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 3:51 AM

All replies

• Hello Rakesh,

Why do you need to set the target platform to x64? I'd suggest leaving the AnyCPU value set.

Typically there is no change required to get the add-in running on the Server OS.

Friday, December 26, 2014 1:14 PM
  • The problem is something else. The add in only works on computers which have visual studio installed. others where only required .NET 4 is installed addin does not works. I am unable to find the solution as i have all the dependencies packaged in the installer.

One thing from the forums i have not added any certificate dont know if its mandatory or that is the reason its not working with computers having .Net stand alone installation rather than complete visual studio .

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:36 AM
  • In the InstallShield MSI (assuming that you are using it) did you mark the specific components as 64-bit? That's what determines in what Program Files directory the MSI will place them.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:21 PM
  • I rebuilt the solution in .Net 3.5 and somehow it solved the problem on the clients.

For second query As Microsoft Word 32 bit is installed on Win Server 08 r2 64Bit so i needed a target code for 32 bit which worked. 64 bit solution was not required as quoted by Eugene Astafiev

earlier. Thanks for your support.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 3:51 AM