none
Microsoft Access Database - Administrator problems and new login RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I apologise in advance for the nature if this question, I am coming to you as a completely new user of this software.

I have just started a new job where all of the work is in a Microsoft Access database. I need to create a new login for myself in the database so I can access the details and work can be assigned to me.

Unfortunately I have replaced the person who created the database and I am unfamiliar with how Access works.

Essentially, when I open the database a dialog box pops up asking for log in details. This is a drop down list with all of the other employees and a password box.

At this stage there is an "Administrator" box but it is greyed out and I cannot open it.

Logging in to the accounts of the other employees does not let me get anywhere near the security options and essentially just lets me see a "Print Preview" of various reports, I assume this was done on purpose by the creator.

How can I gain administrator access to the database and how can I add myself as a new user so I appear in the drop down list of employees?

Thanks in advance for all of your help it is greatly appreciated.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:58 AM

Answers

• This sounds like the developer coded a custom security procedure and the code looks for who is opening the datbase and then looks in a table to see if that person is authorized. If the database detects it is the "administrator" then the "administrator" button is enabled, if not, then it is disabled (causing it to appear greyed out). It sounds like only the "administrator" can add new employees. Try the following:

1. If the database file extension is .mdb or accdb, then try to open it by selecting the file and then hitting SHIFT+ENTER. Opening it this way will by-pass any code that runs when the database opens. If it will not open, then you need to contact the developer, no doubt.
    2. If the file will open, then hit the F11 key to display all objects (tables, forms, reports etc.). Look for a table that may hold employee names or security information. Open that table and see if you can add your name to it. Since you gave us so little information, this is all I can offer.

Please do what DB Guy asked and give us the version number of Access and the file extension, which will be .mdb, .accdb, .accde or .accdr. The file extension and Access version will allow us to help further.

Monday, August 10, 2015 4:37 PM
  • This sounds like the developer coded a custom security procedure and the code looks for who is opening the datbase and then looks in a table to see if that person is authorized. If the database detects it is the "administrator" then the "administrator" button is enabled, if not, then it is disabled (causing it to appear greyed out). It sounds like only the "administrator" can add new employees. Try the following:

1. If the database file extension is .mdb or accdb, then try to open it by selecting the file and then hitting SHIFT+ENTER. Opening it this way will by-pass any code that runs when the database opens. If it will not open, then you need to contact the developer, no doubt.
    2. If the file will open, then hit the F11 key to display all objects (tables, forms, reports etc.). Look for a table that may hold employee names or security information. Open that table and see if you can add your name to it. Since you gave us so little information, this is all I can offer.

Please do what DB Guy asked and give us the version number of Access and the file extension, which will be .mdb, .accdb, .accde or .accdr. The file extension and Access version will allow us to help further.

Just a minor correction to what Lawrence stated.  When you open your database, you need to be holding down the Shift key until it has loaded.  So if you are in Explorer and you select your file, press Enter while holding down Shift.  If you open Access first and open your file from there, again, hold down Shift as you go through the steps to open the file.  As he stated, holding down Shift while the database loads will cause it to bypass any start up features.

Monday, August 10, 2015 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi. Is there no way to reach the original creator? Did he or she not leave any notes for the next administrator? What is the file extension of your database?
    Monday, August 10, 2015 12:23 PM

Monday, August 10, 2015 4:37 PM

Just a minor correction to what Lawrence stated.  When you open your database, you need to be holding down the Shift key until it has loaded.  So if you are in Explorer and you select your file, press Enter while holding down Shift.  If you open Access first and open your file from there, again, hold down Shift as you go through the steps to open the file.  As he stated, holding down Shift while the database loads will cause it to bypass any start up features.

Monday, August 10, 2015 5:07 PM