Power Loss to Win Emb 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a computer/HMI to run windows 7 embedded.  I'm basically making an interface similar to a kiosk on a mobile piece of machinery.  This application/interface will boot on start up so the user will generally not see anything in windows.  Even if I implement a shutdown function in my app it won't be used most of the time.  The operators will most like just cut power to all the electronics after operation.

My questions is will the effect the OS?  I'm going to use EWF and I'm not saving anything to the HD.  So I don't think I'll have any trouble with power loss instead of shutting the computer down.  Can anyone thing of anything I'm overlooking?  Most likely the HD will be some solid state drive.  Thanks.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:01 PM

All replies

• You are on the right track. EWF, NTFS as the boot partition, disk cache turned off (because EWF is in the image). For the most part you can mitigate disk / OS corruption, 99%. there is always that 1% that something goes wrong, but it is rare. 

Do you plan to use bitlocker or encryption for any reason? If not, don't include it and use a single partition this will help with the solid state drive wear leveling.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Proposed as answer by CharanS Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:27 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:18 AM
  • Don't use spinning rust for storage. The only drive I have that survived 1000 power cycles is an industrial Toshiba, anything retail ... factor in the replacement hassle / good will etc.

Use an SSD that incorporates power failure protection (eg, Intel SSD 320 DOES, 330 DOES NOT, DC 3500 has something different, I'm testing that now.) Avoid Kingston like the plague...

=^x^=

Friday, September 27, 2013 10:08 AM
  • I'm not planning on using bit locker or encryption.  Thanks for the tips.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Thanks for the tip on failure protection.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 1:25 PM