Unmanaged disk conversion with a Failover Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a two-node windows cluster on Azure. The VMs are using unmanaged disks (OS disk plus 3 x 1TB data disks). I understand that if I invoke the 'Migrate to managed disks' option from the Azure VM's disks blade then the VM will convert and restart the VM. A restart should be ok as I can 'failover' the owner of the resources to the other VM and perform the conversion one-by-one.

What impact does converting to managed disks have on the Failover Cluster's shared disk volume? Is it likely to take the CSV offline?

thanks

K

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:38 PM

All replies

• It should not - it's an online operation on the platform level:

as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/faq-for-disks#migrate-to-managed-disks

Migration involves movement of the Disk from one Storage location to another. This is orchestrated via background copy of data, which can take several hours to complete, typically less than 24 Hrs depending on the amount of data in the disks. During that time your application can experience higher than usual read latency as some reads can get redirected to the original location, and can take longer to complete. There is no impact on write latency during this period.

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 7:20 PM
  • @Kazza87 Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 2:18 AM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, January 20, 2020 6:10 AM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, January 27, 2020 10:15 AM