Blue screen boot error Win 8 Dev Preview

Question

• I have the Windows 8 Developer Preview iso installed on a virtual machine, via Virtual Box. When I start up the machine, I get a blue screen error. The desktop doesn't load. The error is a super sad frowning face with the following text:

"Your PC ran into a problem that it couldn't handle, and now it needs to restart. You can search for the error online: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (Wdf01000.sys)"

I don't care about the data and know I can easily reconfigure the virtual box with another iso. I just wanted to document the error. Thanks!

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Your error mentions the driver Wdf01000.sys.
    If you have any other drivers that you have recently installed, Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added.

If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Friday, December 09, 2011 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:05 PM

•  If...partition is formatted with NTFS file system,

@Marilyn : here's a question unrelated to Inwhite's, Was it possible for Inwhite to have installed WDP on a partition which was formatted in a file system other than NTFS ? I really don't know.

Irfan
    Friday, December 09, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Marilyn - WDF01000 is a Microsoft driver.  What's the process for sharing a memory dump in the forums these days? 
    Friday, December 09, 2011 6:07 PM
  • The user can give a link where they upload the memory dump file. They can use a SkyDrive if they have created a Windows Live ID account.

Marilyn
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Thanks Marilyn.

Inwhite - Can you look for a memory.dmp file on your system, post it to a public folder on your skydrive account and then add the link here?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:57 PM