Get the discount percent RRS feed

• Question

• Lets say we have a product whose actual price is $900, we are offering 10% discount on the product so it will cost $810.

Now I revert the situation, lets say we know that the actual price is $900 and we are selling it for $810, I want to create a formula so my program should tell me how much percent discount we are offering ?

Can somebody help ?

Friday, July 21, 2017 6:43 PM

Answers

• Lets say we have a product whose actual price is $900, we are offering 10% discount on the product so it will cost $810.

Now I revert the situation, lets say we know that the actual price is $900 and we are selling it for $810, I want to create a formula so my program should tell me how much percent discount we are offering ?

Can somebody help ?

Hi

Well, 

810 divided by 900  times  100  =  90

so, 100 - 90 = discount rate  (10%)

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Marked as answer by Sid Williams Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:58 AM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 6:54 PM

All replies

• Sid, 

That is basic math. 

810 means 90% of the original price and therefore the math is simple 810/90*100 to get the original price

The rest is so simple that you may do that yourself. 

Success
    Cor

Can somebody help ?

Hi

Well, 

810 divided by 900  times  100  =  90

so, 100 - 90 = discount rate  (10%)

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Marked as answer by Sid Williams Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:58 AM
  • Edit:

900 - (900 (x/100)) = 810

- 900 (x/100) = 810 - 900

x/100 = (810 - 900) / (-900)

x = 100 (900 - 810) / 900

x = 100 (p1 - p2) / p1

x = 10

where x is 10 percent.

Friday, July 21, 2017 6:57 PM

Can somebody help ?

1- (810/900)

That's 0.1 or 10%.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Friday, July 21, 2017 7:28 PM
  • Now I revert the situation, lets say we know that the actual price is $900 and we are selling it for $810, I want to create a formula so my program should tell me how much percent discount we are offering ?

Can somebody help ?

Hi Sid,

Do you want to create a simple project that can calculate discounts automatically when you enter actual price and sell price? If yes, you can refer to the code below. You enter actual price in TextBox1, and enter sell price in Textbox2, the label4 show the discount.

If TextBox1.Text = "" Or TextBox2.Text = "" Then
                MessageBox.Show("Please enter actual and sell price!")
            Else
                Dim agio As Double = Val(TextBox1.Text) - Val(TextBox2.Text)
                Dim discount As Double = Math.Round(agio / Val(TextBox1.Text) * 100, 2)
                Label4.Text = discount.ToString() + "%"
            End If

The result is rounded to two decimal places.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:15 AM

If TextBox1.Text = "" Or TextBox2.Text = "" Then
            Else
                Dim agio As Double = Val(TextBox1.Text) - Val(TextBox2.Text)
                Dim discount As Double = Math.Round(agio / Val(TextBox1.Text) * 100, 2)
                Label4.Text = discount.ToString() + "%"
            End If

Cherry, I don't know if you are ordered to do this by your bosses. It is not impossible as we see the low quality of the forum stability.

Why do you think nobody gave code. All those persons who replied can do that easily. Maybe all a little bit different, but non of them in a mix of typical VBS, VBA, C# and VB6 code style which you show. VB.Net still accept but therefore it is not good code for VB10 to VB15.

They did not give it, because giving fish is not helping. These forums are to teach persons how to fish.

For yourself, this could have been the code in VB15 (VB2017) way created from yours.  

Public Class Form1
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            If IsNumeric(TextBox1.Text) OrElse IsNumeric(TextBox2) Then
                Dim agio = CDec(TextBox1.Text) - CDec(TextBox2.Text)
                Dim discount = Math.Round(agio / CDec(TextBox1.Text) * 100, 2, MidpointRounding.AwayFromZero)
                Label1.Text = CStr(discount) & "%"
                Else
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class
    Of course there are persons who will mark your reply as answer, helping to sell Microsoft less and their competitors more and no moderator will make any change to that. 

Success
    Cor

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:55 AM

Can somebody help ?

How about (actual price - selling price) / actual price - of course you must multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:42 AM