Bricked device? FTDI Status LED blinks. Get "Device is not responding. Cannot get device ID." RRS feed

• Question

• All ways going great as I brought up my new MT3620 Mini Dev Board.  I was following the install steps as listed in the Azure Sphere Install Section here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure-sphere/install/overview

I successfully claimed the device and configured the WiFi and the device connected to the WiFi.

C:\>azsphere device wifi show-status
    SSID                : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Configuration state : enabled
    Connection state    : connected
    Security state      : psk
    Frequency           : 2412
    Mode                : station
    Key management      : WPA2-PSK
    WPA State           : COMPLETED
    IP Address          : 192.168.43.242
    MAC Address         : XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Command completed successfully in 00:00:01.8345597.

C:\>azsphere device show-ota-status
    Your device is running Azure Sphere OS version 18.11.
    The Azure Sphere Security Service is targeting this device with Azure Sphere OS version 19.07.
    warn: Your device is running an older Azure Sphere OS version (18.11). It has not yet started receiving the available update to version 19.07.
    warn: Your device is connected to Wi-Fi. If the over-the-air update does not begin, reset your device and try again.
    Go to aka.ms/AzureSphereUpgradeGuidance for further advice and support.
    Command completed successfully in 00:00:03.7555607.

Then I see this:

C:\>azsphere device show-attached
    warn: Device is not responding. Could not perform version check.
    error: The device is not responding. The device may be unresponsive if it is applying an Azure Sphere operating system update; please retry in a few minutes.
    Device is not responding. Cannot get device ID.
    IP address: 192.168.35.2
    Connection path: 123
    error: Command failed in 00:00:42.6160051.

Waited a few minutes, waited many minutes, waited over an hour and still get:

C:\>azsphere device show-attached warn: Device is not responding. Could not perform version check. error: The device is not responding. The device may be unresponsive if it is applying an Azure Sphere operating system update; please retry in a few minutes. Device is not responding. Cannot get device ID. IP address: 192.168.35.2 Connection path: 123 error: Command failed in 00:00:42.7056039.

Power cycle, reset, unplug and the behavior remains the same.  The device is not connecting to WiFi either.

The green FTDI Status LED blinks periodically and something is being sent to COM10.  When I plug in the device, 4 COM ports, not 3 as mentioned in the docs, appear in the device manager: COM7, COM8, COM9 and COM10.

COM10 receives stuff like this:

Any suggestion on how to recover this device?

Friday, August 9, 2019 12:44 PM

Answers

• If OTA update of the OS fails, you should look at azsphere device recover. Before you proceed, read documentation. I would suggest you proceed carefully before going on and google "Azure sphere recovery". Read the warning. BTW, I am not Microsoft so my word does not count. Do this at your own risk.

• Marked as answer by taco_woolly Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:58 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 8:57 AM

All replies

• If OTA update of the OS fails, you should look at azsphere device recover. Before you proceed, read documentation. I would suggest you proceed carefully before going on and google "Azure sphere recovery". Read the warning. BTW, I am not Microsoft so my word does not count. Do this at your own risk.

• Marked as answer by taco_woolly Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:58 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

I understand that you have “successfully claimed the device and configured the WiFi and the device connected to the WiFi” and not able to update the OS on the device.

I suggest you, follow the guide for Troubleshooting installation and setup and see if it helps.

If issue still persists, you may recover the device by following steps from the documentation Update the OS.

Let us know if you need further help.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:21 AM
  • Thanks.  Your suggestion brought be to this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure-sphere/deployment/recover

I was able to successfully recover the device. I am now running 19.07.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:58 PM
  • I had gone through the troubleshooting at the link you provided but it did not help.  The Update OS link does describe what eventually worked, I had just misread it, thinking it only applied to devices with less than 18.11.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Glad to hear that your issue is resolved!
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:27 AM