none
Windows 10 Anniversay Update breaks MySQL Connector Net RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone

Thanks for reading.

After installing the Anniversary update, when my users attempt to run queries that were previously working they now get:

[DataSource.Error] Object reference not set to an instance of an object

We have the Oracle MySQL Connector Net 6.6.5 installed, I removed that and upgraded to 6.6.8 to no avail.  The code that refreshes the users queries very simple:

Dim Connection As WorkbookConnection

On Error GoTo NotConnected
        For Each Connection In ThisWorkbook.Connections
            Connection.Refresh
        Next
        Exit Sub
    NotConnected:
        MsgBox "Data Refresh Failure " + Err, vbCritical, "Refresh Failure"
        On Error GoTo 0

It tells me that the data source is blocked because of too many connection errors.  On the server I run the command mysqladmin flush-hosts

Makes no difference.

Would really appreciate some help with this as my users really need the reporting functionality this spreadsheet provides.  Yeah, sure, use SQLServer, right?  But it's an open source website running on Ubuntu... No choice.

Thanks Again

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Excel, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for Excel

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exceldev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2016 5:32 AM
  • I asked there and got nothing.  Maybe there is an answer now.
    Monday, October 17, 2016 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

Do you try to manually refresh the connections, and does the error occur again?

I suggest you remove all old connection strings and then create a new one for testing.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:28 AM
  • Hello

Thanks for trying to help.  When using the Oracle MySQL connector package there are no connection strings.  MySQL shows up as a data source, you input the usual server address, username, and password and that's it.

Opened a blank workbook and tried a connection with a simple query, no go.

When the spreadsheet was initially created, back in the days of "Power Query" we tried and tried to get ODBC to work and couldn't.  There are literally hundreds of connection string examples on the web, as people struggle to get Excel to talk to a database, the problem is that the error messages are just plain horrible.

Is there an error log that can give us a real error message that we can use to debug it?

Next step is to load a fresh copy of Windows/Office/Connector and try I suppose.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Could you please share your detail steps? When does the error occur? Does it occur when manually refresh?

As far as I am concerned, there is no method to log the error for your case.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Hello Celeste

The error occurs when I try to execute any existing query, create a new one, refresh an existing one, or attempt to refresh using VBA.   If I start a blank spreadsheet, enter connection info (which works and succeeds) write a simple query like SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TABLE; as soon as I go to fetch data I get this error.

When we initially developed this tool we spent hours (literally) trying to make ODBC work, there are thousands of examples on the web but none of them worked.   Apparently one needs the exact combination of versions to make that work.  The Oracle MySQL connector for .net worked immediately right out of the box, so we went with it.

I'm an Office 365 Pro Plus organization (email, Office) so we have the latest version of Office 2016.

If I can get just the smallest bit of diagnostic information I'm sure the fix is easy but the dread "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" gives me nothing.  Based on the server diagnostic information it's opening a huge number of connections and not closing them before it fails.

Thanks again for trying.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Sorry that we could not reproduce your issue. According to your description, the error occurs after windows update, do you try to uninstall the windows update?

Since your issues is complicated, I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day! 

Regards,

Celeste

Monday, October 24, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Hello

More information...  We did some experimentation on Friday and it works on some machines and not others.  This is odd, as we try and keep all the machines the same configuration to avoid these kinds of issues.

At the moment I'm resigned to the drudgery of a clean re-install but before I do that there has to be an error log somewhere in the product we can look at to see what's wrong.

I know it's connecting - as I am using a vpn to get to the database and if I disconnect the vpn, I get the correct error message.

Thanks for trying to help. I looked at the installed software on working machines .vs. non working machines and can see absolutely no difference.

Alan

Monday, October 24, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Hi, Alan

Due to the limitation of the community support channel, we are not able to troubleshoot this issue in an unreproducible environment. I will suggest you contact the Microsoft professional support so that our engineers can work closely with you to troubleshoot this issue.

If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day! 

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 12:12 PM
  • So Microsoft charges me monthly for Office 365, nags me endlessly to upgrade, when I upgrade a critical tool for my small business breaks - but only on some computers - and now Microsoft wants to charge me for support when I am already paying for support with my Office 365 subscription?

So perhaps you can explain to me what exactly I am paying for every month on Office 365?  It's not a small bill.

Seems to me I am paying for the opportunity to be a beta tester for new releases of Office, but I have to pay for any bugs I found, and the software is so poorly written there is zero instrumentation to help me self diagnose the issue.

Friday, October 28, 2016 12:57 PM