none
Excel View tab, Window group, Unhide is disabled. RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Bob,

You can save Macro's in your PERSONAL.XLSB, which then will be available for all your Workbooks in Excel.

Yo can also save Macro's in a Workbook, but you need to save it as a Macro Enabled Workbook to save the Workbook with Macro's (XLSM).

See below screenshot:

So when you save a Workbook as a normal Excel Workbook (XLSX) you can't store a Macro in there, but you are still able to use the Macro's saved in PERSONAL.XLSB.

I hope that makes more sense now.

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer as an answer when your question is being answered.

• Marked as answer by eBob.com Friday, March 9, 2012 4:37 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 3:52 PM

All replies

•  Hi Bob,

Where you able to come to step 8 and 9 in mentioned article?

Saving the Macro in Personal.xlsb?

Note: You mentioned Person.xls, while in Excel 2007 it is Personal.xlsb.

I followed all the steps, I am able to Unhide the Workbook Personal.xlsb in Tab View.

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer as an answer when your question is being answered.

Monday, March 5, 2012 11:42 PM
  • (Ignore below - unless you are curious.  I poked around a bit and now the Developer ribbon seems to be working again.  I'll try the process for putting a recorded macro in Personal.whatever - I am still not sure about these new four letter extensions.)

Thanks for your reply Daniel.  Actually I was not following the process in the referenced info because I was trying to write my own macro rather than record one.  Today I'd be willing to follow the process for a recorded macro just see if I can get something into Personal.xls.  But today I have bigger problems.  Everything on the Developer ribbon is grayed out.  I thought I'd just go about re-enabling the Developer ribbon, but when I click on the office button "Excel Options" is grayed out too.  I am not at home, where I have my install disk, and won't be for another week and a half, but I think I will  have to wait until I am back home and can do a reinstall. 

(Yesterday I tried to shut down all of my Excel sessions and one would not shutdown.  Clicking the red X in the upper right corner did nothing and "Exit Excel" did nothing.  So, having no other choice, I used Task Manager.  I suppose that is where is problem comes from.)

Thanks,  Bob

• Edited by eBob.com Friday, March 9, 2012 3:32 PM fixed a minor typo
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Geez.  I keep getting more and  more confused.  I went through the process to create and save a recorded macro in Personal.xls? but then when I opened it it seemed to be empty - i.e. I didn't see any macros in it.  So I repeated the process and now I see two files in XLSTART, one named PERSONAL.XLSB (11 KB) and one named Personal.xlsx (9 KB) - both have exactly the same "Date Modified".  I am afraid to look at them to see what, if anything, they contain.

Bob

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Now I am even more confused than I was a few minutes ago.  Now the two files mentioned in my previous post have different "Date Modified" values and continue to have different sizes (the same sizes mentioned in the  previous post).  But they seem to be the same file because if I make a trivial change to one  of them it shows  up in the other! 

Bob

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi Bob,

It seems like, you might have run some code that hides sheets automatically, but has no code to unhide.,

write a macro that unhides the sheets. and be aware of the code that you run previously,.

Re-installation of Ms. Office is another solution, if the above solution doesnot work.

With regards

Repath Athyala
    www.repath.wordpress.com

Love the Love that Loves the Love and Hate the Love that Loves the Hate.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Strange things are going on indeed. Do you have multiple Office versions installed on your Desktop?

You notice Personal.xls and Personal.xlsb.

Now Personal.xls are from the earlier version Office 2003 or below, while the Personal.xlsb is the newer version Office 2007 and later.

Btw. Personal.xlsx is problably the Name of the Workbook you saved in Excel 2007?!

On a side note, if you do have mutiple versions side-by-side installed, check below KB article to see if that applies to your situation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930480

I hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

>Strange things are going on indeed. Do you have multiple Office versions installed on your Desktop?

I wish I had a straight answer.  I know that I installed Office Home and Student 2007.  It's there in Program and Features but without a Size.  Program and Features also shows "Microsoft Office 2010" with a Size value of 6.30 MB.  Nothing about 2010 shows up in All Programs.  I have no idea why this system would say anything about 2010.  I am wondering if it might have something to do with the way Dell configures it systems. 

>You notice Personal.xls and Personal.xlsb.

No.  Both files  in XLSTART have four character extensions.  One is named PERSONAL.XLSB (11 KB) and one is named Personal.xlsx (9 KB)

>On a side note, if you do have mutiple versions side-by-side installed, check below KB article to see if that applies to your situation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930480

The two versions referred to in this article are 2003 and 2007.  If I have two versions installed (and I don't really think I do - 6.30 MB just isn't a realistic size for Office, is it?) they are 2007 and 2010. 

Actually I think that at this point I am just not going to worry about it until and unless other problems crop up.  I have a Personal.xls? and it's where it's supposed to be and so now I'll try to cram a written, not recorded, macro into it that I can experiment with.  Wish me luck, I have a feeling I am going to need it.

Thanks for your interest, help, and sympathy.

Bob

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Just want to make clear that the "Personal.xlsx" is problably on of your saved Excel Workbooks, and it's saved in your XLSTART folder where the PERSONAL.XLSB file is also located. These are two different files!

Hope that make sense.

Best of luck,

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Just want to make clear that the "Personal.xlsx" is problably on of your saved Excel Workbooks, and it's saved in your XLSTART folder where the PERSONAL.XLSB file is also located. These are two different files!

Hope that make sense.

Best of luck,

Thanks Daniel but I am not sure if it makes sense.  Are you maybe saying that in the unique case of a file named "personal", although it may appear that you are creating macros associated with the same file as the workbook, that actually the workbook and the macros are stored in separate files?    Or does that always happen - i.e. are macros and the workbook always stored in separate files?

Thanks,  Bob

Friday, March 9, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Hi Bob,

You can save Macro's in your PERSONAL.XLSB, which then will be available for all your Workbooks in Excel.

Yo can also save Macro's in a Workbook, but you need to save it as a Macro Enabled Workbook to save the Workbook with Macro's (XLSM).

See below screenshot:

So when you save a Workbook as a normal Excel Workbook (XLSX) you can't store a Macro in there, but you are still able to use the Macro's saved in PERSONAL.XLSB.

I hope that makes more sense now.

• Marked as answer by eBob.com Friday, March 9, 2012 4:37 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Yes, thank you very much Daniel, that makes sense.  I've been even more confused than I would have normally been because of some very misleading information I found on the web (not an MS site) regarding XLXB vs. the other Excel file types.

Thanks,  Bob

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:37 PM