moving site from iis6 to iis7 RRS feed

• Question

• User-1659510415 posted

My company has purchased a website that was running in iis6, and I'm trying to "install" it on iis7.

The site appears to respond (the icon for the site appears in the web browser tab and address bar), but all that it shows is a blank page.

The default web site does work, when I have it running, I usually stop it since we don't use it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all help.

Friday, August 7, 2009 4:12 PM

Answers

• User-1659510415 posted

To answer your questions: 32 bit, clean install, all Updates including SP2, only IIS Role.

Aside from starting the Default Web Site to test whether the server will respond over port 80, there are no other applications running using port 80 (after test with Default Web Site succeeded, I stopped the site).

I have added a test.html page and am able to access that page when I go to http://www.website.com/test.html (I added www.website.com to my hosts file).

There do not appear to be any errors.

This is being tested on a machine that will become production if/when this works.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2009 5:03 PM

All replies

• User1576994509 posted

It would first be beneficial to review any errors that may be logged in the Event Viewer.  Please check these logs and let us know if you find anything related.  As to the issue at hand, is this being tested locally or is this an issue with a published site?  Is this a x64 bit OS?

One of the first things that you want to confirm in a situation like this is if there is another application using port 80.  There are some confirmed cases where multiple applications using port 80 have caused this to happen. 

You may also want to do some testing and see if this is an issue with certain extensions.  For instance, create a test.htm and a test.aspx page, and see if both of them resolve the same way.  Having some actual error logs will really help get to the bottom of this.

Friday, August 7, 2009 4:41 PM
  • User-1659510415 posted

To answer your questions: 32 bit, clean install, all Updates including SP2, only IIS Role.

Aside from starting the Default Web Site to test whether the server will respond over port 80, there are no other applications running using port 80 (after test with Default Web Site succeeded, I stopped the site).

I have added a test.html page and am able to access that page when I go to http://www.website.com/test.html (I added www.website.com to my hosts file).

There do not appear to be any errors.

This is being tested on a machine that will become production if/when this works.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2009 5:03 PM