Multiple Choice Parameters - Elements not marked RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having the following problem with multiple-choice parameteres:

1 - I have parameters Company and Department. The Department parameter only shows the departments of the selected company. It is dependant of the company value.

2 - Default values are Oracle and Sales respectively

Now when I preview I can see data from the Oracle Sales Department. If i select the ALL option from Company parameter, all the departments appear in the dropdown box of department parameter but they are not selected.

Is there any way to select all values as the normal behavior?

Thank you

Monday, May 16, 2011 12:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Pedro,

We can leverage "Default Values" tab to work on this.

After open the Department parameters properties, click Default Values, and check "Get values from a query" as well. In the Dataset and the Value filed, please specify the same setting as "Available Values" tab. In that case, once the "Company" is changed, the Department would all be checked by default.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks,
    Eileen

• Proposed as answer by Naz at ANSA Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:18 PM

All replies

• H,

From your explanation, Department is a cascading parameter which depends on your 'Company' parameter. Whenever your selection of 'Company' is changed or selected All, the drop down of 'Department' will be populated with new values. So, they are not selected by default and its upto the user to select them.

MSBI Developer
    Monday, May 16, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Exactly. But is it possible to change this behavior so they are all marked by default?
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi Pedro,

We can leverage "Default Values" tab to work on this.

After open the Department parameters properties, click Default Values, and check "Get values from a query" as well. In the Dataset and the Value filed, please specify the same setting as "Available Values" tab. In that case, once the "Company" is changed, the Department would all be checked by default.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks,
    Eileen

• Proposed as answer by Naz at ANSA Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hello Eileen,

Is that in SQL Server 2008? I'm using 2005.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:29 AM
  • same steps mentioned by Eileen can be followed in SQL Server 2005 too.

Pavan Kokkula Tata Consultancy Services.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:43 AM