System DSN on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• User2027130969 posted

Hello guys 

I have a classic ASP application i built a while back, i have moved it to my vista machine, ASP works fine, the ASP parts show up in the web app. I set the SYSTEM DSN to my database.mdb and named it what i call it in the app dsn=blah

it works fine on my xp with iis6.

all it says on the page where the database parts are read is "the web server had a prob with this url please contact admin" it cant find the DSN

plz any help thanks

Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:03 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

Microsoft strongly recommend that you do not use system DSNs to connect a web application to Access.  They have said this for some time now (despite the fact that a lot of their code samples show the use of one...). Use the native Jet OLEDB provider instead.

<%
    constring = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0; Data Source="file_path_to_db/mydb.mdb"
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.open constring
    %>

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:14 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Microsoft strongly recommend that you do not use system DSNs to connect a web application to Access.  They have said this for some time now (despite the fact that a lot of their code samples show the use of one...). Use the native Jet OLEDB provider instead.

<%
    constring = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0; Data Source="file_path_to_db/mydb.mdb"
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.open constring
    %>

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:14 AM
  • User2027130969 posted
    lol that was what i was doing until my teacher taght me otherwise
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:45 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

Show you teacher this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299974/

When you run Microsoft Jet in an IIS environment, it is recommended that you use the native Jet OLE DB Provider in place of the Microsoft Access ODBC driver. The Microsoft Access ODBC driver (Jet ODBC driver) can have stability issues due to the version of Visual Basic for Applications that is invoked because the version is not thread safe. As a result, when multiple concurrent users make requests of a Microsoft Access database, unpredictable results may occur. The native Jet OLE DB Provider includes fixes and enhancements for stability, performance, and thread pooling (including calling a thread-safe version of Visual Basic for Applications).

DSNs use ODBC. 

Friday, July 13, 2007 11:35 AM