none
VSTO Excel AddIn 2010 x86 vs x64 affects existing database drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I have Excel 2010 32 bit application that runs on Windows-7 32 bit, connects to 64 bit Oracle 11G (Release 2), it works fine. I have developed one AddIn for this application using Microsoft VSTO and displays WPF charts, it works fine when you target x86 or AnyCPU (because Excel app is 32 bit) but connectivity to oracle database abrupt and if I change AddIn target to x64 then AddIn is not accepted by Excel Application but oracle connectivity works fine. Note: In AddIn we don’t interact oracle connectivity, it is existing one and no replacement or change. We are using 64 bit Oracle Objects for OLE(OO4O) for 11G connectivityhttp://docs.oracle.com/cd/E20213_01/doc/win.112/e17727/intro.htm. Indirectly it is affecting its connectivity. Any suggestion is welcome.

MS Technologies Developer

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Madhur,

>> it works fine when you target x86 or AnyCPU (because Excel app is 32 bit) but connectivity to oracle database abrupt <<

Based on my understanding, we can't connect the 64 bit database from 32 bit application. Can you connect the Oracle database in a common 32-bit console application? If not, I suggest that you confirm it with the Oralcle.

>>and if I change AddIn target to x64 then AddIn is not accepted by Excel Application but oracle connectivity works fine.<<

32 bit Windows 7 can't run the X64 application. We need to set the platform to X86 or any cpu.

Based on the description above, I think you may update to 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Office or use 32-bit database.

Hope it is helpful.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:05 AM

All replies

• The x86 based aplications can't load x64 based add-ins. You need to set the target architecture as AnyCPU or, if you use any platform specific components, set to the x86 or x64 value. See the Deploying an Office Solution section for more information.

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a clean add-in project? Why do you think the issue is caused by the add-in?

Monday, September 15, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Thanks Eugene!!

I'm able to load x-86 or AnyCPU addin into 32 bit excel 2010, but issue is when excel app loads this addin it affects existing connectivity to oracle 11G using OO4O, this is verified by not loading this addin.

Wondering if need to make any entry into registry like under syswow64 or any thing else.

Monday, September 15, 2014 2:52 PM
  • It seems you forgot to answer my last questions:

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a clean add-in project?

Why do you think the issue is caused by the add-in?

Monday, September 15, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Thansk Eugene!!

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a clean add-in project?

I'm able to reproduce this issue but you need Oracle 11G-x64 database.

Why do you think the issue is caused by the add-in?

I don't have answer to your question beucase this is what my question, when I load this AddIn database connectivity is not happening and without AddIn it connects to database so indirectly it is affecting where and how I don't know. It appears by using this AddIn some security or environmental issue related to database drivers (OO4O) obstructs it. If I can get architecture for AddIn eg.  AddIn Load flow, registry entries etc then I can get more close to it but not sure how loading this addin is affecting OO4O driver.

Note: I've developed this AddIn using C#, WPF, VSTO etc..

Monday, September 15, 2014 5:45 PM
  • Hi Madhur,

>> it works fine when you target x86 or AnyCPU (because Excel app is 32 bit) but connectivity to oracle database abrupt <<

Based on my understanding, we can't connect the 64 bit database from 32 bit application. Can you connect the Oracle database in a common 32-bit console application? If not, I suggest that you confirm it with the Oralcle.

>>and if I change AddIn target to x64 then AddIn is not accepted by Excel Application but oracle connectivity works fine.<<

32 bit Windows 7 can't run the X64 application. We need to set the platform to X86 or any cpu.

Based on the description above, I think you may update to 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Office or use 32-bit database.

Hope it is helpful.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:05 AM