none
unable to perform SQL upgrade and add as cluster node.

Question

• Primary SQL Server : A  (Running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)
    Secondary SQL Server :B ( Running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)
    SQL Server : SQL Server 2008 SP2
    Task : To upgrade SQL from SQL Server 2008 SP2 to SQL Server 2012 with cluster setup on both the nodes.

Installation was successfully completed on Node A. While doing the installation on node B, i am hitting the following error message. I ran the cluster validation report and all passed. Kindly advise how to resolve this.

01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 Slp: Sco: Attempting to determine if the account 'NT Service\MSSQLFDLauncher' is Virtual Account
    (01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 Slp: Sco: Attempting to validate credentials for user account 'NT Service\MSSQLFDLauncher' and service name 'MSSQLFDLauncher'
    (01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 Slp: Sco: Attempting to determine if the account 'NT Service\MSSQLFDLauncher' is Virtual Account
    (01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 SQLEngine: Fulltext: Validating FTUpgradeOption
    (01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 Slp: Validation for setting 'INSTANCENAME' failed. Error message: The SQL Server failover cluster instance 'MSSQLSERVER' was not correctly detected. The instance was discovered on the local node but it was not found to be active. To continue, confirm the state of the instance installed on all applicable nodes of the cluster and the state of the failover cluster resources.
    (01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 Slp: Error: Action "Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.ValidateFeatureSettingsAction" threw an exception during execution.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 12:35 PM

Answers

• Thanks Hilary and Shashank.

We managed to resolve the issue. The problem was due to hardening  and the file share (C$, admin$ and IPC$) are not accessible between the 2 cluster nodes.

We use net use command and it shows the error message. So we resolve this first and restart the server and managed to complete the installation successfully.

• Marked as answer by Ibnu Haroon Friday, November 25, 2016 3:35 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2016 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Ibnu,

Not faced such error but a simple search lead me to below article, can you check whether below is of help until someone gives more concrete answer

https://blogs.infosupport.com/the-sql-server-failover-cluster-instance-yourinstance%E2%80%B2-was-not-correctly-detected-the-instance-was-discovered-on-the-local-node-but-it-was-not-found-to-be-active/

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 1:49 PM
  • I suspect you will need to evict this problem node from the cluster, upgrade it, and then  add it back to the cluster.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Hi Shanky,

Yes we did try this and all the mentioned settings are in place.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:04 AM
  • Hi Hilary,

We did try this and still facing the same problem.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Hi Hilary,

we have already evict the node but still getting the same error.

our scenario is like 2 node cluster one node is already upgrade when we try to upgrade the passive node.

we are encounter the below error.

(01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 SQLEngine: Fulltext: Validating FTUpgradeOption
    (01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 Slp: Validation for setting 'INSTANCENAME' failed. Error message: The SQL Server failover cluster instance 'MSSQLSERVER' was not correctly 

detected. The instance was discovered on the local node but it was not found to be active. To continue, confirm the state of the instance installed on all applicable 

nodes of the cluster and the state of the failover cluster resources.
    (01) 2016-11-21 11:52:07 Slp: Error: Action 

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:13 AM
  • I am afraid I am not sure what to advise you to do at this point.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:53 AM
  • Thanks Hilary and Shashank.

We managed to resolve the issue. The problem was due to hardening  and the file share (C$, admin$ and IPC$) are not accessible between the 2 cluster nodes.

We use net use command and it shows the error message. So we resolve this first and restart the server and managed to complete the installation successfully.

• Marked as answer by Ibnu Haroon Friday, November 25, 2016 3:35 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2016 3:34 AM